Tips to produce a great farmers’ market experience

Greensboro Curb Market vendor Daniel Woodham talks to customers about his herbs. Vendors are usually experts about their products, so don’t be afraid to ask questions. (Cloud Gamble/Guilfordian)

Where you buy food makes an impact on the environment. A grocery store has plenty of items and can be especially convenient for those with limited time to shop. However, farmers’ markets can provide an abundance of produce and goods, usually allow only local vendors, and are environmentally friendly.

Local food is more sustainable because it does not travel as far from the field to your plate. Many farmers’ markets have organic, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and pesticide-free produce and meat as well. Plus, supporting local farmers and vendors supports your community’s economy instead of big corporations. Long story short: farmers’ markets are sustainable for the environment and the economy.

But navigating a farmers’ market can be quite a challenge, especially for beginners. Keep these guidelines in mind before your next trip.

• Why visit a market? For some, it is the prospect of buying local foods. For others, it is buying organic. And still others go for the camaraderie of the market — getting to know the farmers and connecting to their community in a new way.
  • What are you looking for? Markets typically have fruits and vegetables, but occasionally there will be meat, honey, and dairy products as well. There may be prepared dishes, such as bread or pastries. There is always a market for your needs.
  • What is your budget? You may think that farmers’ markets are more expensive than buying from the grocery store, but financially speaking, produce prices are quite comparable. Grass-fed and locally-raised meats definitely cost more than those from factory-farms. When you consider the environmental cost of conventional agriculture, though, you may decide that local or organic food is worth the price. Whether you buy produce or meat, you will need to bring cash for most markets. Some bigger farmers’ markets have an ATM on site for credit or debit cards, and sometimes they even accept EBT cards.
  • Are there other options? Food buying clubs, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) boxes, or co-ops may be more suitable for you. Food buying clubs combine large orders so they are able to sell the goods at lower prices. A CSA box can be more of a challenge for college students. They require a down payment for the season, and each week of the season you get a box of produce. Co-ops are great community hubs. The owners of the co-op grocery are the people who shop there, so the interests of the store are directly related and influenced by the interests of the customers, but you do not need to be an owner to shop at a co-op
  • Have any questions for the farmer? Ask! Farmers love having people interested in their produce. If they grew it themselves, they are experts about their crop. Sometimes you may find new or unusual produce. Ask how to cook it, what it tastes like, and ways to store it. You may even get a sample!
  • Other tips: Bring a bag or basket to carry your goods in. Research what produce is in season. Walk around a couple of times and see everything the vendors offer before you buy. Search for a market that fits your schedule. Bring a friend. And have fun! Going shopping for food should be an enjoyable experience, not a chore or obligation.

Want to go? Here are some farmers’ markets in the Greensboro area:

• Greensboro Downtown Farm Market (505 N. Greene St.) Highlights: open Monday-Saturday; local; accepts debit, credit, and EBT cards; has CSA; free on-site parking.
  • Greensboro Farmers’ Curb Market (501 Yanceyville St.) Highlights: open Wednesday (until December) and Saturday; local (NC and adjoining states); one of the oldest in NC.
  • Piedmont Triad Farmers Market (2914 Sandy Ridge Rd., Colfax) Highlights: open every day; seed center; very large.
  • Deep Roots Market (3728 Spring Garden St.) Highlights: co-op grocery; open every day; accepts debit, credit, check, and EBT cards; student-price ownership; includes health and dried herbs section.
  • Veggie Co-op (The Pines or Greenleaf box) Highlights: order Monday; super-convenient; only $5 or $10 per box depending on box size.

So get out there to your farmers’ market!