Mad Cow disease spreads to Asia

(Ciner)
(Ciner)

No, I’m not talking about an angry cow or even an insane cow. I’m talking about Mad Cow, and it’s a disease.

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (cattle with spongy brain), also known as Mad Cow disease, was first diagnosed in the U.K. in 1986. Fifteen years and many headlines later, the disease, which was believed to have been contained in Europe, found its way to Japan. Due to high standards of cleanliness in their cattle ranches, Japanese health experts believed that they could keep their country safe from this brain ravaging disease. However, On Monday Sept. 10th, Japan announced that it might have found Asia’s first case of mad cow disease.

Last year Japan put a ban on all European beef imports, yet some shipments of EU beef were made before the ban was in place.

“It is believed that the cow may have been contaminated from imported feed carrying infected beef product,” said an official from Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture.

Officials were first alerted to the problem when a cow in Japan inexplicably lost its ability to stand. Tests run on the animal’s brain indicated presence of the illness.

The public was first told that the animal had been slaughtered and burned. They were also informed that 30 other cows on the farm were quarantined and would be slaughtered and burned.

After further probing, it was found that the cow(s) infected had not been destroyed. Their flesh had been processed and sent to a meat-packing plant and a feed mill plant in two different Japanese states.

Officials did not elaborate, but they assured people that no potentially contaminated product had been sold to customers.

Officials also said that about 4,160 gallons of milk from the suspect cow had been sold. However, scientists believe that milk is unlikely to spread the disease.

With Mad Cow disease lurking in Japan, many people are wondering which country could be next. Some people are blaming the problem on uncleanly and inhumane conditions in factory farms.

“The U.K. claims to have the problem contained, then there is an outbreak in Japan a few months later. Who’s next? I think the treatment of cows—feeding them to each other, slaughtering them on conveyor belts—is evil,” said sophomore Joanna Shunk.

The outcome of Japan’s Mad Cow scare has yet to play itself out, however; some countries have put a temporary ban on all beef imports from Japan.