Men’s basketball steamrolls to tournament victory

On the evening of Saturday, Nov. 15, the light of a new Guilford Quakers basketball season glared off of the shiny surface of Jack Jensen Court.

The men’s basketball team started off their Invitational Tournament and the 2014–2015 season with a dominant 69–41 victory over the University of Maine at Farmington.

The game was over as soon as the referee threw the ball into the air for the tipoff. The Beavers of Farmington rarely got the ball inside of the three-point line, and one could count the number of times the ball hit the rim using their fingers and toes.

The Quakers appeared calm and relaxed the whole game. Their off-season workouts were noticeably paying off as they remained composed and rarely struggled to outpace their opponents.

Notable performances included a double-double by Guilford’s junior Jonny Rice in his first ever collegiate contest. Rice dropped 15 points and was 7–9 shooting.

“I thought we rebounded and defended really well,” said head coach Tom Palombo through the most intimidating mustache in Division 3 basketball. “We had great energy. Offensively, we struggled a bit, but I believe that will come as we move forward this year.”

The final dagger came when a Quaker’s shot hit rim and danced around the basket. Rice swooped in unannounced and dunked the reluctant ball, thereby securing victory.

In the stands, excitement was everywhere.

The gym was deafeningly loud at times, and the crowd was raucous; the atmosphere was akin to that of the biggest games of years past.

Fans appeared to be extremely happy that the wait was over, and they get to watch the basketball teams all winter.

“The fans were more engaged and supportive than I would have expected,” said sophomore transfer student and avid basketball fan Kendall Dunn. “I really hope the atmosphere remains and we can keep getting a turnout like tonight.”

Athletes from other sports teams expressed their appreciation for their fellow Guilford college athletes.

“I love basketball season,” said senior golfer Travis Tolbert. “The off-season gives me time to relax, work on my schoolwork and really get to see what the other teams are made of.”

Guilford College has some new faces, like Rice and sophomore Trevor Hyatt, looking very comfortable on the court.

Leadership roles are visible in the plays of senior Matt McCarthy and junior Will Freeman.

The bright start of the Quakers 2014–2015 season spilled into the championship game on Sunday with a 90–72 victory over William Peace University.

McCarthy received Tournament MVP in a game that advances the Quakers to a 2–0 record on the season and earned the boys their first trophy of the year.

Their next test lies on the hardwood of Emory University in Atlanta on Nov. 22.