Alumni golf tournament draws in students from multiple generations

The Harvey Ljung Alumni Golf Tournament was held on a brisk Halloween morning.

More than 50 Guilford College alumni teed off at Sedgefield Country Club in the annual event that serves as the official start to Homecoming weekend.

As dead leaves fell and littered the golf course, clouds of condensation collected at the mouths of the players while they strategized.

Approximately 15 teams went to battle in a captain’s choice format of play, a team-oriented way to play golf, which is laid back and appropriate for an event aimed at reuniting old friends.

“It was great to see some of the people that we grew up with,” said Bradley France ’90. “It is good to see that people stay loyal and continue to love the school.”

The event took place at the Guilford College home golf course.

Members of the golf team worked to ensure that the golf course would be in championship condition after playing a tournament just a few days prior to Homecoming.

Golf offers several benefits to our alumni as they rekindle old friendships. It creates a relaxing environment where people can interact and spend quality time with each other. It also takes place in a natural environment.

What better venue than a golf course for Guilford alumni to meet and reconnect?

The event was a positive experience for all involved.

The field of play was not represented by alumni alone. Some Guilford faculty members played, including head men’s lacrosse coach Tom Carmean and head baseball coach Nick Black.

“I got to see all the guys that I don’t get to see very often,” said Black.

Black has been known to play with the golf team from time to time when he gets time off from his duties.

“It’s always nice to get out on the golf course,” said Black.

Alumni relations are important to the growth of any educational institution.

“I really like these types of events,” said former assistant baseball coach Daniel Hadra. “It makes me feel a sense of connectedness.”

Members of the Guilford golf team volunteered to hit drives on some of the holes in an effort to help the teams lower their scores.

The teams were given the opportunity to count one of the current golfer’s drives as their own.

Sophomore golfer Ty Palmer is a good man for this job because when he hits the driver it is hard to believe that the golf ball will stay intact.

“I had a lot of fun with it,” said Palmer. “I got to meet some people who graduated from my school who I would never have known otherwise.”

Alumni are a huge part of Guilford. The Guilford family includes over 23,000 people worldwide who have graduated from this school.

Nobody is more loyal to a college than alumni. They fundraise, donate and are a walking marketing tool for Guilford through their social and professional networking experiences.

The alumni presence is always a key component of Guilford Nation, and each Homecoming they are a crucial link to our past.