Tennis athletes work hard on and off the courts

Guilford College’s men’s tennis team opened the Old Dominion Athletic Conference season in winning fashion by overpowering Roanoke College 8–0. In the closest match last Friday, junior Trevor Cox defeated Chris Migliarese, 6–4, 6–4.

“Our boys are strong this year,” said head men’s and women’s tennis coach Dave McCain.

Although the sun set on sophomore Erik Meiler’s match, resulting in a cancellation, it did not dim the Quakers as they routed Roanoke.

However, the women’s team faced the opposite fate by losing 9–0 to the conference foe.

“Roanoke girls are extremely good,” said McCain. “They are probably the second-best team in the conference.”

First-year Nora Prokosch showed promise, as her winning match went to a three set tiebreaker.

“The girls played really well, even though the score didn’t show,” said McCain. “They competed well. I am proud of both teams.

“They played as hard as they could, and that makes me very proud.”

McCain must be satisfied with his players off the court activities as well. On both squads, student athletes participate in organizations like Fellow Christian Athletes and Bonner Scholars.

Sophomore Luci Gordan, a dual threat for the Quakers, plays tennis and soccer. In her first action of the season on Saturday against Lynchburg, she won a singles and doubles match.

“Luci is an amazing person,” said junior tennis player Allison Hewitt. “She is a hard worker and has a lot of heart.”

Gordan explained how she balances two teams and commitments both in and out of the classroom. Interested in religion, Gordan joined the FCA and Guilford Hillel.

“It keeps me happy,” said Gordan. “I actually do a lot better time management wise when I have a lot of things on my plate.”

Also, Gordan gets the best of both worlds as she enjoys being around her teammates.

“It’s a wonderful feeling having two sets of friends and teammates to cheer you on and be there for you,” said Gordan.

Men’s team junior Blake Brown is also a model student involved in extracurricular activities around campus.

“I am involved in the theme houses, Principal Problem Solving, Orientation, and some campus activities,” said Brown. “During my free time I enjoy seeing the other sports play and just walking around campus.”

Brown’s typical day is not like most on campus. He takes night classes to be able to focus on tennis, and works at public safety during the day.

On top of Brown’s busy schedule, he found time to earn the first ODAC Tennis Player of the Week Award.

The tennis team takes pride in representing Guilford as student athletes, and works hard to portray a positive brand across campus.

“I think it is a good thing that when we are out in public people don’t know we are tennis players, but know us for our involvement in the school,” said Brown.

Hopefully, Guilford can have another dominant performance in their next home match against Sweet Briar Saturday, March 29.