Michael Sam posts subpar NFL Combine results

A few weeks ago, NFL hopeful Michael Sam, from the University of Missouri, shocked the sporting world with his infamous announcement.

Since then, he has not turned many heads.

“You’re talking about a seventh-round pick, possibly even going undrafted,” said NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah on NFL AM.

Sam failed to impress at the NFL Scouting Combine on Feb. 22.

His official 40-yard dash time was 4.91 seconds. Sam’s time pales in comparison to potential overall first pick, Jadeveon Clowney’s official 4.53 seconds.

Housewife and Atlanta Falcon fan Janice Dawn said Sam’s time was disappointing.

“Even quarterbacks are logging in better times than Sam,” said Dawn in an interview with the Guilfordian.

“His combine performance would turn me off of him completely,” said software developer and Carolina Panthers fan Dave Moore in an interview with the Guilfordian. “I just cannot see a player with these stats having any future in professional football.”

His 25’5” vertical leap and 9’6” in the broad jump showed a lack of explosiveness, and his 17 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press was second worst among defensive linemen.

“His combine performance was very lackluster,” said junior pitcher Justin Morrison. “I don’t mean to sound condescending, but even I can put up 12 reps, and I’m just a pitcher.”

Pre-draft predictors pegged Sam as a high third to fifth-round pick, but after the combine, analysts have dropped him to the sixth round to even going undrafted.

“I think the sixth round is low for that caliber of player,” said senior Levi Goodridge. “They’ve drafted crappier players in higher rounds that weren’t good as Sam.”

Outside of his combine stats, Sam is also adjusting to a new position due to his below-average stature for an NFL defensive end.

During the Senior Bowl, coaches swapped him to outside linebacker, a position the suits his 6’2” frame.

According to Shane Hallam, of draftTV.com, Sam struggled throughout the game at the linebacker position, only adding more doubts from his critics.

“They tried it, and the experiment didn’t work,” said Hallam in an interview with the Kansas City Star.

‘84 University of Missouri alumus Stanley Whitaker even said the performance might hamper the All-SEC player of the year’s chances at the big leagues.

“I have seen a lot of monster performances from Sam,” said Whitaker in an interview with the Guilfordian. “However, if Sam cannot show he is ready for the next level, he will not be drafted.

“It’s as simple as that.”

Sam did show decent body control in the bend and burst drill, convincing some scouts to label him as a third-down pass rusher.

Scouts might also be impressed by Sam’s college resume, as he led the SEC, arguably the toughest college football conference, in sacks and tackles for a loss last year.

“I know Sam is better than his combine performance shows,” said Whitaker. “He just needs to put up numbers less like that of a quarterback and more like that of a defensive end of his caliber.”