Johnny Football’s wild summer

After serving a brief suspension, Texas A&M Quarterback Johnny Manziel completed six of eight pass attempts for 96 yards and three touchdowns. He also received one unsportsmanlike penalty for giving an autograph hand gesture to the opposing team.

During the offseason Manziel was accused of signing autographs for money, a possible violation of National Collegiate Athletic Association rules that led to his feeble suspension.

“Reports labeled it a minor infraction,” said Aaron Fetrow, vice president of student affairs and dean of students. “If that is true, I don’t think it’ll have a lot of impact on his Heisman hopes this year.”

The money gesture allowed fans further insight into the inflated ego and lack of maturity of the youngest Heisman Trophy winner.

On top of that, Manziel reportedly was kicked out of a fraternity party at the University of Texas. He also made an early exit from Peyton Manning’s passing camp, though the reason was unclear.

“I think (Manziel) makes it through the year without another suspension,” said former first baseman Lucas Kempton ’01. “The NCAA needs him just like they needed Cam Newton when he broke the rules.”

Manziel wasn’t elected as a captain by his teammates this season due to his offseason shenanigans.

“For me, being an athlete in college is a privilege,” said senior soccer captain Mike MacVane. “And being the captain of my team is a huge honor. I understand the importance of leading by example. On my team, I take it upon myself to lead the way.”

Quarterbacks are normally granted the captaincy of their squad due to the leadership values inherent in their position.

Before the autograph scandal, Manziel was considered to be a front-runner to win consecutive Heismans. This hasn’t been accomplished since Ohio State’s Archie Griffin won the trophy in 1974 and 1975.

“If he puts up numbers like he did last year, he should win the Heisman again,” said Fetrow.

It now appears that the odds of winning back-to-back awards is not in his favor.

In the game of the week the Aggies welcome the defending national champions, The Alabama Crimson Tide, to College Station, Texas.

Last year, this showdown was where Johnny “Football” earned his fame and nickname with a performance never to be forgotten.

This conference battle is an opportunity for the Aggie Quarterback to exhibit leadership and dissolve the notoriety that he earned during his tumultuous offseason.