Fall athletes confident and amped for upcoming season

Regardless of the previous year’s results, all six of the Guilford College fall sports teams remain optimistic that the 2012 seasons will yield results worthy of acclaim.

Football

Head Football Coach Chris Rusiewicz, approaches every season with the attitude that an undefeated season is expected.

“You’re going to see a high powered offense going out and performing with a run game and pass game and there will be a lot of excitement with that,” said Rusiewicz. “Defensively, you will see a very fast defense that can run around and make big hits, and big plays.”

As for as the players, junior captains Alex Smith and Faris A. El-Ali take their leadership seriously.
“Now that I know my place, and I know my abilities, this year I am looking at All-Conference, All-American honors,” said Smith.

“This year I feel as if I could be All-Region or All-American, provided I put in the time and stay healthy,” echoed El-Ali.

The team is united, confident and eager to get on the field for their first game of the season, the Soup Bowl against cross-town rival Greensboro.

Volleyball

Head Volleyball Coach Emily Gann is perfectly aware of the effects associated with losing veteran leadership. However, this does not prevent her from realizing the potential of the 2012 team.

“After seeing preseason, I am really excited,” said Gann. “I think that we are going to do really well.”
Junior Meredith Foscue takes on a new leadership role and position, that of libero, a back-row defensive specialist.

“It keeps me on my toes, keeps everyday interesting; it’s fun because it places me in a leadership role, and I get to learn new things,” said Foscue. “It helps me further understand the game as whole.”

A major theme is realizing the team’s potential while harnessing the team’s talent.

“We want to be a cohesive unit and excel as much as we can, while getting far into our conference, because we have the potential to do that,” said junior middle blocker, Malikah French.

While this year’s team is going to be young, they are going to be talented, and ready to take a step up in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference standings.

Men’s Soccer

Confident senior forward Greg Carnovale made it clear that this year is going to be a special one for the men’s soccer team.

“This is our season, we know it, our coach knows it, and other teams in the ODAC know.”

Optimism seems to be an understatement for the confidence exuded by Captain Carnovale.

Senior defender Drew Gunter has the same positivity and feels that with the appropriate leadership this year’s team is bound for success.

“To be more of a leader; the freshmen and sophomores are beginning to look up to us more on and off the field.”

Head Coach of Men’s Soccer Jeff Bateson has high expectations. “Our goal is to place top four in the ODAC, and be able to host an ODAC tournament game,” he said.

Women’s Soccer

Improvement from last season is a central focus of the veteran leaders on the women’s soccer team, as they hope to make deep runs in the ODAC and NCAA tournaments.

Senior forward Sarah Levitt sees a vast improvement in team morale and optimism for this upcoming season.
“It is a lot better than in previous years,” said Levitt. “Everyone is getting along, working hard, and as long as that persists we will have a great season.”

It is not just Levitt with high hopes and expectations.

“Personally I believe that we can be close to undefeated this upcoming year,” said senior defender Lily Wotkyns. “We have high expectations, but that is because we have a whole new team, and with the talent and girls that we have, we can do it as long as we really believe.”

Cross Country

“We are always looking to improve, always looking to get better,” said Head Men & Women’s Cross Country Coach Danny Cash. “The team has a different look to it this year, so a lot of the early season was focused on getting the team dynamics together.”

Assistant Men & Women’s Cross Country Coach Kimberly Cash feels that the veterans on the team will help the transfers and younger players be able to make a smoother transition in, and immediately help the program to prosper.

“We have returners who we have expectations of, and in their roles as leaders they will carry people around them,” said Kim.

The 2012 fall sports programs are amped up, optimistic and anticipating respectable seasons. Each team also highly values the contribution that the student body and fans brings to each of their contests.