Improving mental health: A student’s perspective

Wikimedia Commons
“Mental health” spelled out using wooden letter tiles.

Let’s talk about why mental health is so important, plus ways to keep a positive mental space.

Mental health has always been a trending topic for many doctors, therapists and other professionals. It includes your emotional, psychological and social well-being. In other words, mental health affects a person’s thoughts and actions.

Here are some ways I’ve found to improve my mental well-being :

• Journal
    • Read
    • Make a healthy amount of sleep your priority
    • Set goals for yourself
    • Practice gratitude 
    • Exercise regularly
    • Find healthy ways to handle stress 
    • Learn to value yourself 
    • Surround yourself with people who will have a good influence on you
    • Talk to people you trust
    • Create daily affirmations
    • Protect your inner child
    • Work on your independence
    • Look into therapy 

When I was younger I struggled with my mental health and felt hopeless everyday. One day I decided to actually take advice from positive people in my life and listen to what they were telling me. I was told to take life slowly and not stress about everything around me; instead, to be present in the moment and the rest will fall into place.

Some things I did to help my mindset were journaling and creating daily affirmations because they helped boost my confidence. Journaling gave me a chance to write out and express how I felt. Seeing my daily affirmations every morning helped me not forget who I am and what I am capable of doing.

Actually practicing the positive suggestions you are given when people are trying to help you and care for you goes a long way, including caring for yourself. If you criticize every decision you make, instead of being gentle with yourself, it will be difficult for you to have a healthy mental state.

One thing I often tell myself when I wake up is to be the best person I can be, no matter who is watching, because nine times out of 10, the people who are judging you don’t know who they are themselves. Some people say that I am intimidating and full of myself, but in reality that is not the case. The reason why I may come across this way is because I value my independence and self-worth.

Having the mindset of always needing someone’s approval makes you feel like you can’t do stuff on your own, which becomes a negative habit that is hard to break.

A few other things that I value are my space, time, and energy, because once I learned how to value them it changed how I viewed myself and my life. Before I started caring about these kinds of things. I used to feel like there was no meaning to life and I had no purpose.

Not many people know that protecting your inner child can have a huge impact on your mental health. Protecting your inner child means that you’re taking care of the person you once were, because everyone has been through something that has challenged them mentally or physically  long-term.

Learning how to improve my mental health has been an important process for me to this day, and I hope this article can help you improve your own mental state.