Staff Editorial: Wage inequality is unacceptable

In times of crisis and darkness, the community of Guilford College unites despite differences and disparities. This is one of those times. Our school has become fiscally unstable, as well as a breeding ground for anger and resentment from past and current conflict. Because of this, there has never been a more important time to support the mainstays of our community — faculty and staff.

The inequalities on campus are obvious and irrefutable. Among comparable institutions, our faculty are the lowest paid. Wage gaps between people of different genders still exist. Our staff refuse to speak out against working conditions and low wages for fear of losing their jobs. This is unacceptable.

Earlier this month, a community forum on faculty and staff pay incited positive and productive discussion. Let’s not stop there. At this time, it is important to learn from the situation we are in and find creative solutions that will benefit the entire community. While it is obvious that there are inequities and that our current situation is something no school ever wants to have to face, we can use the current state as a springboard for a better future. The community should have everyone’s full support.

President Jane Fernandes is taking a step in the right direction by organizing the upcoming student community forums. By doing this, the school is not only keeping our faculty in the loop, but our students as well, truly stressing the core value of community and deviating from a former system that lacked transparency.

If you truly feel passionate about protecting our community, then attend the student forums on Monday, April 20, from 5:15 – 6:30 p.m. in Hendricks and in Founders Hall lobby from 7:00 – 8:15 p.m.