Staff Editorial: Reflecting on the issues that made up Volume 100

You might not recognize it quite yet — after all, denial is a powerful force — but the school year is almost over.

This right here is the penultimate issue of The Guilfordian for the 2013–2014 academic year. We only have one more of these for you before we all dive head-first into the panicked frenzy of finals season.

If this were a movie, now is the time when we’d cue a slow-motion, black-and-white montage with Green Day’s “Good Riddance” playing softly in the background. After all, we’ve been through a lot together this year.

Last year, Kent Chabotar announced that he would be retiring, spurring the presidential search. We devoted ourselves to covering the process, from the search committee formation to the interviews of the final candidates. We are now proud to welcome Jane Fernandes as the future president of our college.

Once the APSA committee shared the first draft of its plan for budget shifts, we did our best to help you give feedback so we could come to solutions that made sense for us as an institution.

You voiced concerns about the judicial system, and we turned a critical eye to the ways in which the system handles sexual assault cases and race issues. Although there is still much progress to be made, we take pride in opening the dialogue to the community.

Our community continued to endure a difficult financial situation this year, and several sectors of the college felt the strain of a shrinking budget. We examined the gaps between administration, faculty and staff salaries, as well as the phenomenon of deferred maintenance and the role of adjunct professors.

We hope we can keep these vital conversations flowing. But for now, the final clip is fading to black and the credits are about to roll. We hope you had the time of your life.