Staff Editorial: Lessons from San Diego

You may have noticed that this week, the staff editorial has found a new home away from its usual home. Our front page has a new, spiffy “Inside this Issue” box, too.

Equipped with an arsenal of new ideas like this, the editorial board returned from the National College Journalism Convention in San Diego, Calif. with two goals: a new, better-organized look for the print edition and stronger coverage for you, our readers.

As journalists, our job is to pursue the truth, offer accurate and reliable information and remember who we’re writing for. While we begin developing a stronger Guilford-minded mission statement, we will home in on these responsibilities.

Over the last two years, we’ve committed ourselves to fearless and honest reporting, tackling administration and policy for the sake of our community. While we’ve learned other newspapers are met with greater opposition and censorship, that honesty and fearlessness will continue to guide us in crafting our publication.

Part of our responsibility to this community is to listen. We genuinely want to know what you have to say. As such, we will be placing greater emphasis on effective interviewing. Research and preparation prior to interviewing, open-ended questions and quiet, attentive listening will be our mantra.

We also want to know what you care about. With a paper as old as The Guilfordian, it’s easy to enter a coverage rut, when we report out of habit rather than for our readership. With this in mind, we will work to draw story ideas and letters to the editor from our readership and fine-tuning our stories to give you what you want to know.

Part of this will involve building our social media chops and reaching out to you through our Twitter, Facebook and website. Friend us. Talk to us. Let’s hang out sometime.

As we filter through and apply the tidal wave of new perspectives and ideas we’ve gathered, the paper will evolve. In this evolution, we’ll need your help. As Guilford’s community news source, we welcome your requests, contributions and critiques. Contact @TheGuilfordian on Twitter or The Guilfordian on Facebook, or you can email our editors listed on the Community page.

After all, we’re your newspaper and you are our community. Let us work together to keep Guilford informed.