A call for women’s rights and an end to sexism

You men need to get over it.

Why don’t women share the same rights as you do? Why must women have to fight for equality? How come you men can’t be equal and get over your superior selves? Women have suffered enough, can’t you men see it?

Women have to go through so much pain, such as sexual harassment, menstrual cycles, giving birth, wearing high heels and make up, house cleaning, cooking and babysitting. Is that not enough?

“Women endure more pain than men,” said junior Noelle Lane. “Just think about childbirth. Do men think about that as pain?”

Unlikely. My guess is this not enough pain in men’s eyes. Men often view women as an object for their sexual pleasure. There’s a word for it: objectification, the practice of treating women as objects rather than as human beings.

“As a person who understands what it means to be looked at and viewed in a certain way due to having curves, I have seen directly that men want something specific out of me that I don’t want to give,” Lane said.

Women worldwide must continually fight against inequality, discrimination, injustice and oppression in all forms. Women must rely on the Women’s Rights Movement to have their rights understood and respected.

“Without women’s rights movements, I would not have a fraction of the rights I use now,” said first-year Eleanor Bradford. “(Yet) women unfortunately still don’t have equal rights as men.
“This is due to the fact that our society is embedded in sexism. Whether it is from the media, religion or politics, it is still prevalent and impacting us daily.”

Women struggle for change, and women have demonstrated time after time that they are not backward and can become leaders.

“Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country,” said former British Prime Minister Margaret Hilda Thatcher.

“Women’s lack of human needs matters,” said Visiting Assistant Professor of Peace and Conflict Studies Jeremy Rinker. “If all their needs had been met, there would be no reason to fight against men.”

Feminism focuses on equality and treating women the same as men. Why can’t we all just be equal? Why are men so hard headed?

“Men are unwilling to relinquish power,” attorney Adam P. Soltys told The Guilfordian. “Though obviously we live in a country that is 52 percent female … we’ve never had a woman president.”
I guess the pressure women have been through to fight for their rights did not gain men’s attention very well.

Universally, women have been jailed, ridiculed and humiliated by men, some women and media, which has resulted in sluggish recognition of their tangible anguish by men and more importantly by public institutions.

“Women still don’t get paid equally for the same work,” said Lane.
Women want “equal pay and trying to balance motherhood and family with advancing a career,” said Soltys.

Inherent in most legal doctrines, women don’t have the authority to be superior to men. But that doesn’t mean that men should have all the power and control. Men can be the heads of their family, but men should be treating their families equitably in order to produce happiness in life.

We’re all human beings. Let’s be fair with one another. It’s time to listen to each other and learn from our mistakes.