Early College students: The few, the proud, the weird

I am an Early College student.

I do not hide it or deny it. I am proud of it.

We are a rare breed.

When people ask, I do not hesitate to tell them that I am a senior in high school. There is no shame in saying that you go to one of the best high schools in the nation.

Although I do not have much of a problem making friends at Guilford, I know that for some Early College students that is not the case.

Believe me, I understand. It is easy to get wrapped up in a daily routine. Socializing does not become a priority.

However, I urge those at Early College to make as many friends at Guilford as they can in the short time they are here. This is college, make the most of it.

And to those at Guilford who alienate Early College students based on their appearance, shame on you.

So what if some of us are quirky or “weird?” We take pride in it. Everyone is weird in his or her own right.

Plus—don’t forget—you all were our age not that long ago.

“Yes, we’re a bit socially awkward,” said Early College senior Yasir Azam. “I like to refer to it as “socially inexperienced.””

But we all make up for it by having really fascinating hobbies.

From martial arts to computer programming, our interests vary. Many of us play instruments, and quite a few of us could probably embarrass you in ping pong.

So if you see a herd of us up in Founders, come say “hi.” We won’t bite.

Besides, I can’t tell you how many “Keep it awkward Guilford” stickers I have seen on campus.

In fact, I seem to recall a Huffington Post article from last year, listing the top 20 socially awkward colleges with Guilford ranked high on the list.

And you know what they say, “One man’s awkward is another man’s … umm … yeah.”

This is Guilford College.

This school is not for students who reduce themselves to social cliques.

Every one of us has an interesting story. So take the time to get to know everyone that you can in the time that you are here.

Make friends with your classmates, with your professors. Make friends with the president.

Do not be afraid to talk to people, to be friendly on-campus. Especially to all you Early College students reading this. Do not let your differences define your relationships with people.

And remember, you are unique, just like everybody else.