Senate announces the 2016-2017 board

President

Gerardo Marcos-Ocampo

Sophomore accounting & business major

“My goals are to serve the student body and to see that their voices are heard by the administration. I hope to start by addressing the student concerns regarding dining hours, cafeteria food improvements and making sure student demands are being addressed by the administration. … My ultimate goal is to leave Guilford a better place than how I found it.”

Vice president

Lesly Vasquez

Sophomore english major

“I hope to make sure that everyone has a voice, not only the student leaders but other students as well, and to create more conversations that we are afraid to have. It’s time that we talk about the real issues that are happening. My final goal is to help others on this campus understand the lack of diversity and why we need to help each other fully become an anti-racist, anti-oppressive and a more multicultural institution.”

Secretary

Celene Warren

First-year business major

“I plan to make Senate a welcoming space for people of all walks of life by using correct pronouns and bringing up issues that not only affect the whole school but also small groups that get the short end of the stick. I plan to help market Senate by posting the notes I take during meetings to Facebook and Twitter so that more people have access.”

Treasurer

Amaris Clay

Sophomore economics major

“(I want) to improve the adaptability and efficiency of our budgeting process and develop a positive working and collaborative relationship over the budget year with the executives, subcommittees and student-run organizations so that together we can ensure the most responsible allocation of our funds.”

ICC chair

Elizabeth Marshall

First-year sports management & business major

“My goal for the next school year is to promote the clubs that Guilford has to offer through club fairs and tabling a new club each week in Founders, which will hopefully bring the clubs together on more than one occasion to unify our community. I will also strongly encourage clubs to put up fliers to further promote themselves.”