College names new head of P-Safe

The search for a new director of public safety has been completed with the hiring of William Anderson.

Todd Clark, vice president of student affairs and dean of students, announced the hiring. Clark was in charge of the search.

Anderson has worked in law enforcement for 37 years. He holds a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and an associate of science degree in law enforcement. Anderson is also a graduate of the FBI National Academy.

“I’m very excited to have someone of William’s experience and skill to join our staff,” said Clark in an email interview. “I think he will be a great addition, and (I) am very appreciative of the time many people put in to helping make this decision.”

The search began after the departure of former director Ron Stowe in fall 2015.

This semester, the search was narrowed down to two candidates, Anderson and Renarde Earl, the latter of whom had worked as chief of campus police at Forsyth Technical Community College in Winston-Salem.

The selection process involved open forums at which community members could ask questions of the potential directors.

Rick Williams, director of human resources and payroll, was unable to attend the forums, but he said in an email interview, “I understand from colleagues that both candidates were impressive.”

The official Guilford College web page for public safety states that public safety staff’s job is to work “cooperatively with the Guilford community to preserve peace, reduce crime and provide a safe environment” for students, faculty and staff.

The job description for director of public safety on the Guilford College Employment Opportunities page said the school was looking for someone who could take on the job in a way “that supports the College’s commitment to creating an inclusive college of academic excellence where a variety of people and perspectives are welcome, and to providing an environment where students from all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations and backgrounds may succeed.”

Now that Anderson has been officially accepted to the position, he said that he is looking forward to joining the Guilford community.

“I have spent most, if not all, of my adult life in public service,” said Anderson in an email interview. “Guilford will afford me the opportunity to continue to serve, but in an academic setting. I view this as an exciting next step.”

Anderson, who is from Daytona Beach, Florida, has served as Chief of Police at different locations for over 15 years after working at the Daytona Beach Police Department for more than 20 years.

Anderson’s last job before Guilford was chief of police in Asheville, North Carolina.

With his new position officially beginning on April 11, Anderson will join new Public Safety guards Torean Lynch and Stacey Wallace.

The hiring of Anderson as Director of Public Safety is one of many recent staff changes, including associate academic dean and president’s assistant as well as new staff added over January Term.