Students and faculty turn out for annual spring awards

Students and faculty flooded the Carnegie Room, immediately embraced by a calming, yet energetic musical prelude. Sounds from the guitar, trumpets and drums rang throughout the room. Everyone listened intently to first-year Johnnie Yeskie, junior Jennifer Riddle, junior Benjamin Matlack and junior Devon Rohe kick off the annual spring awards ceremony.

The ceremony, held on April 16, recognized the time and work staff and students put into teaching, studying and working at Guilford College.

The awards were given to students who met the GPA requirement in their respective field and to those who showed their leadership skills in both academics and athletics.

“I enjoyed being a part of this ceremony,” said senior Evan Sylvia, who won the Outstanding Senior in Business Administration Award. “It’s always great to see friends and faculty together as a collective whole. I felt a great sense of community.”

The faculty awards were decided based on staff, faculty and student opinions.

The ceremony started with a moment of silence from Max Carter, director of the Friends Center and campus ministry coordinator, followed by a welcome and recognition speech by President and Professor of Political Science Kent Chabotar.

Later, Don Cline ’78 presented the Board of Visitors’ Award for Excellence in Academic Advising. Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology Julia Jacks finished off the list of recipients with the recognition of honors and presentation of awards.

“I received the Fred I. Courtney Award, which recognizes business majors for their leadership around campus and their demonstration of applying their knowledge to the betterment of the school,” said junior Nicholas Huckins.

The Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert Awards for English were given out to students pursuing post- graduate study or other vocational activities. They also gave recipients a financial stipend.

“I feel privileged to have the ability to apply for monetary awards because finances have been my biggest stressor while at Guilford,” said senior Malikah French. “Knowing that Guilford understands that stress makes the future seem less intimidating.”

This year’s Bruce B. Stewart Awards were presented to Associate Professor of Biology Melanie Lee-Brown, Assistant Professor of English Mylène Dressler and Assistant Academic Dean for Academic Support Barb Boyette.

Lee-Brown was awarded the Teaching Excellence Award for a tenured faculty member. According to Chabotar’s speech, she earned her reputation amongst the students in her department as being the “hardest teacher ever.”

Dressler received the non-tenured Teaching Excellence Award. A CCE student who had previously struggled with the English discipline concepts found Dressler’s class to be a moving experience.

“Mylène’s way of teaching ENG 200 completely changed the way I looked at literature and the world,” said Cline, quoting the student, who remained anonymous.

Director of the Honors Program and Associate Professor of English Heather Hayton received the Board of Visitors’ Award for Excellence in Academic Advising. During his remarks about Hayton, Cline quoted an anonymous colleague who found her to be particularly deserving of the award.

“All advisors here at Guilford are very good with their students, but Heather goes above and beyond,” said Cline. “Students come to Heather to talk about their coursework, but so, so much more as well. They come to her for encouragement, for support and for advice.”

Boyette won the Community Service Award. According to a faculty member’s nomination, Boyette is “a dynamo of energy and efficiency, and encourages new ideas and new approaches.”

[photomosaic nggid= 222]