Class of 2020 envisions future on campus

Guilford College begins a new year with more than 400 new traditional students, one of the largest first year classes since the institution became a four-year liberal arts college in 1888.

With a 34 percent increase in admission from last year, the first-year class brings its commitment to sports, interest in academics and gaiety for Guilford.

After the first few weeks of classes, students embraced the change from living at home to moving away—sometimes very far away—into a small dorm room.

“College is a time when you create relationships that last a lifetime,” said first-year Cam Edmondson of Columbus, Ohio.

“I felt like it (Guilford) was a place I could call home,” said Edmondson.

Edmondson will be joining the basketball team this year and is hopeful to bring a few rings to the program.

For many students, Guilford’s intimate environment and accepting mentality have made the transition into college easier.

“I really enjoy the sense of community, and the small school atmosphere,” said first-year Richard Kreuser.

“I am looking forward to playing Ultimate Frisbee in the spring, and I am excited to create friendships for life.”

Filled with athletes, the first year class includes swimmer Ali Augustine.

“I have always wanted to be in the South, and I was really interested in the programs Guilford had to offer both academic and athletic,” said first year Ali Augustine.

“I’m excited to begin taking classes that actually interest me and not the ones I am forced to take.”

While Guilford was many students’ first choice, that was not the case for first year Vitaliy Cline.

“I actually did not really want to come to Guilford,” said Cline.

“I wanted to go to UNCW, but my parents really liked Guilford and wanted me to go.

“I do like it now that I am here. I have enjoyed getting to know the people here. I have really connected with the people and the teachers.”

Students have also connected with the Guilford character.

“I love the people here,” said Cline. “I love how no one talks to you like they are better.”

Like the other freshman, Cline has enjoyed getting to know a variety of different people around campus.

“It is really diverse here, and I enjoy that,” said Cline.

In addition, Cline has really connected with his professors and has already benefited from his student-professor relationships that would not have been as accessible had he gone to a larger school like he previously desired.

As the first two weeks of classes come to a close, students hope to leave no possibility for involvement unexplored.

“I hope that when I leave Guilford, I will be able to say that I took every opportunity that was offered,” said Augustine.