Music is March-ing on: Guilfordian music calendar

By the end of the month, you will definitely be out of breath.

Whether it’s midterms, the upcoming Merge Records marathon or a multitude of other local music events, there’s a lot to run around for in March.

Conserve your energy and consider these five of our favorite March happenings.

March 8 / Jack Name, Whiff Boy, the Three Brained Robot, Für Die Kinder, MBdV/ 1404 Glenwood Avenue 

The starting gun sounds with a WQFS-sponsored show at Glenwood Books on Friday, March 8.

Headliner Jack Name slams together David Bowie glam with Lou Reed lo-fi and — Boom — something sounding like the Rocky Horror Picture Show occurs.

Does that mean you should dress in drag and practice your time warp for this show?

Maybe not. But it certainly would not be the most bizarre thing to go down before Name’s psychedelic fuzz fest.

Greensboro group the Three Brained Robot, who frequently perform in nothing but underwear and capes, might be the bills’ most intriguing band.

On “Butterflies,” Three Brained Robot singer-provocateur Sam Martin chants, “Butterflies control my feelings,” over a lurking Odd Future-esque beat.

With local minimalist DJs Für Die Kinder and MBdV also on the bill, whatever happens during the show, it will certainly be an experience.

March 8, 15, 22, 29 / Billy Millman / Mark’s Restaurant

The race to see it all continues on a more conventional note with senior Billy Millman’s weekly acoustic sets at Mark’s Restaurant on Dolley Madison.

Millman, who has honed his craft at the restaurant since arriving at Guilford in 2010, plays a one-man show of original folk tunes.

He has nearly as many kinds of songs as Mark’s has dishes.

There is a song about a spirit animal, “Jaguar Afternoon,” a song about North Carolina, “Caroline,” and a lot of songs about love.

Between the bouncy “Hey, Hello,” and another Kooks-y number, “Six Cigarettes,” you may end up singing along with your mouth full.

Besides, what goes better with a love song than some duck tacos?

March 14 / AMPLIFIER Seventh Issue Release Show with Black Santa, Elemeno, and Sacred Oaks / The Crown in the Carolina Theatre 

Halfway through the month, with spring break quick on your heels, is no time to slow down.

On the first Friday of spring break, local arts zine, Amplifier, hosts its Seventh Issue Release Show at the Crown, a bar inside the Carolina Theatre.

Amplifier will be simultaneously celebrating the birth of their seventh issue and mourning the death of the zine.

Amplifier’s Seventh Issue is also its last.

But just because the occasion is sad does not mean the music has to be.

Expect an energetic set from headlining University of North Carolina at Greensboro group, Black Santa.

March 22 / Merge Records 25K / Chapel Hill to Durham

Now it’s time for the real race.

Merge Records is hosting a 25-kilometer road race from Chapel Hill to Durham in honor of their 25-year anniversary.

“Celebrate 25 years of independent music — kilometer by kilometer,” announced the Bull City Running Co. on their website.

The post-race concert lineup has yet to be announced, but if Merge’s current roster is any indication — boasting Spoon, She & Him and Grammy-winners Arcade Fire — both the 25K and the show are sure to get your heart racing.

March 29 / Leaders of the New School: Beau Young Prince, Blue Roots Experiment, C. Pitt, Dante Ck, L.A.B., Elite Kennedy, Diversi-Leek / Club House

Don’t slow down yet. The final mile of this month’s musical marathon is well worth the wait.

On the last Saturday of the month, Beau Young Prince ’13 headlines his own hip hop homecoming with the Blue Roots Experiment playing second-to-last for an evening of futuristic sounds at Club House.

Junior Rod Walker and senior Malek Williams, performing as L.A.B. and Diversi-Leek respectively, round out this night of Guilford music.

At the finish line of this month’s musical melee, check The Guilfordian for another calendar of local music selections.