How to make the best of your Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day can be a day of romance for some, while dreadful for others. Either way, we all know it is coming and must find some way to cope. Planning for Valentine’s Day is essential, but unfortunately, matters of love can be quite confusing at times. Here is a quick guide to planning the perfect Valentine’s Day.

Asking someone to be your valentine can be nerve-racking, so here are a few ideas.

“I would want someone to get a blimp that says, ‘Gabby, be my valentine’ or to write it in the sky by a jet,” said senior Gabby Oglesby.

“I would want something creative and funny if I were asked to be someone’s valentine,” said junior Turner Votipka.

Chocolates are always a must on Valentine’s Day. Sending a card saying “Be Mine” with a red rose is a nice gesture. Whether spending big bucks to rent a blimp or simply sending a Valentine’s Day card, create a moment that will be special for both you and your crush.

“Unfortunately, I will be on a bus for Valentine’s Day, but if I were to be home, I would go to Celebration Station and play games with my girlfriend,” said Oglesby.

Votipka is another Quaker athlete who will be spending his Valentine’s Day heading to a match.

“This will probably be my worst Valentine’s Day,” said Votipka. “I will be spending it on a bus crowded with guys.”

Guilford faculty members have their own plans for Valentine’s Day.

Head volleyball coach Emily Gann said that she will be celebrating with her husband by watching him coach his basketball team.

“Quality time with someone that you love — whether boyfriend or girlfriend or a friend — it is nice to hang out with them, to put away the phones and spend some quality time together,” said Gann.

Robert Duncan, visiting assistant professor of political science, has been with his wife for 35 years.

He typically gets a flower and a card for his longtime valentine, although Duncan believes Valentine’s Day to be just another day.

After spending 35 years in love with his wife, Duncan has provided young couples with credible advice for Valentine’s Day.

“If I was courting my wife, what I would arrange is a very romantic dinner, have a nice dessert, take her home and stand in the doorway saying goodbye for two hours,” said Duncan.

Oglesby suggested renting a movie, getting takeout and just enjoying one another’s company.

Some wonder, “Who buys the gifts? What should I get? Can I afford this?”

The most influential gifts are those that are meaningful.

No one needs a diamond necklace or a Rolex on Valentine’s Day. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it.

Candy, flowers and a stuffed animal are all good options. Conveniently, you can find all three at the nearest CVS.

Another idea is to make a collage of memorable photographs, which is both heartwarming and cost-effective. It is sweet, thoughtful and you don’t have to spend more than 20 dollars.

These are just a few quick tips for planning your Valentine’s Day. Celebrate with friends or that one special person, but remember that Valentine’s Day is a day to do a little extra for those who mean the most to you.