Eagle Physicians provides convenient health care alternative for students

“I think I’d heard that maybe somebody was going to be taking over the Health Center, and maybe there were going to be different hours,” said senior Lucas Blanchard-Glueckert.

If you are in the same boat as Lucas, do not worry. Many students feel in the dark regarding the Health Center’s new state of affairs.

The on-campus center will still be open, housing immunization forms and providing information. However, they will no longer provide medical care.

In Spring 2013, Guilford signed a one-year contract with Eagle Physicians as the new provider for student health care. The goal was to provide enhanced, feasible health care for students.

“We tried to make a lot of things freebies,” said Coordinator of Student Health Services Susan Smith. “Allergies, sprains, cuts, things you used to be able to be seen for at Campus Health Services.”

Treatment for lice, pneumonia, infections and other common medical issues are among the free services available. A full list can be found online.

Another goal was to make access to health care convenient for students. Last year, the Health Center had one nurse practitioner available 2 – 3 hours a day.

“It was a one-man show,” said Campus Life Office Manager Assistant Michaela Coleman. “It’s great to now have available a full service department.”

Eight physicians are available at Eagle all day, every day.

“A lot of students complained about the hours of the service here on campus, and these hours are supposed to be more suitable for students,” said junior David Wheaton. “The downside is the distance. Not all of the students on campus have cars.”

Fortunately, the building is on 1210 New Garden Road, only about a 15-minute walk from campus.

That is, assuming you can walk.

“One of my friends twisted her ankle and she doesn’t own a car,” said sophomore Eva Sutton. “She couldn’t manage to get there until people called her back, came to get her, got her into the car and took her there.”

The best strategy to ensure immediate attention is to have multiple contacts saved in your phone, including your resident advisor. Public Safety isn’t available for transport to the hospital.

In the case of an emergency, call 911 immediately. Emergency Medical Service providers can provide on-site assessment and basic care without charge and transport you for a fee. Hopefully, a contact can quickly take you to the hospital afterwards.

In some cases, an Eagle physician will determine that you require a specialist. Guilford will not cover the expenses of any care outside of Eagle. Always take your insurance card, Guilford ID card and, just in case, a method of payment.

This new system is very convenient for students. However, while students receive special benefits, the facility still runs as a regular health clinic.

“It is important for students to understand that appointments are preferred during regular daytime hours,” said Smith. “Otherwise, they may use the walk-in clinic during its hours.”

Their regular hours are 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. weekends. If you have an elective need, such as immunizations or a physical, make an appointment.

The walk-in clinic hours are 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. weekdays and 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. weekends. Only utilize the walk-in clinic during these hours and when absolutely necessary.

“It’s a wonderful, new and improved service,” Vice President for Finance Greg Bursavich said. “Some students say ‘Oh, I have to walk,’ but the expanded services and availability of a whole team of doctors and nurses is a benefit for students they didn’t have before.”