The Clubhouse: where everybody knows your name

Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got. 

Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot. 

Wouldn’t you like to get away?

Walking into The Clubhouse, there is certainly an atmosphere of kinship, with smiles and waves all around and the guarantee that you will see someone you know.

“The Clubhouse is like (Guilford’s) Cheers, the local hole-in-the-wall bar,” said junior Taylor Teodosio. “You can come, have fun, see your friends and be whoever you want to be.”

Senior Douglass Guernsey agrees. He is a regular visitor to The Clubhouse because he has “friends who come here, friends who bartend here and friends who deejay here.”

The Clubhouse bar is about a five-minute walk from campus and where many Guilford College students often go to drink, dance and have a good time. It features pool tables, foosball tables, and an outdoor patio. There is also a space for dancing to the various deejays and live bands that play there.

Since The Clubhouse is so close to Guilford, it also has an official Guilford College night on Thursdays, when Guilford students get in for free with their Quaker card and — for those who are over 21 — there are drink specials all night long. Of course, if you do intend to have a beer or a shot, be sure to have your driver’s license handy as well.

The Clubhouse is a hotspot for Guilford activity. Not only do Guilford students frequent the bar, but they also work there and play music there.

“I decided to work at The Clubhouse because I wanted a part-time job with flexible hours where I could also see all of my friends and have fun,” said Guilford senior and Clubhouse bartender Caroline Oldfield.

According to Oldfield, The Clubhouse has always been a Guilford spot. Alumni will regularly come in and mention how they used to go there years ago when they were students, and now they keep coming back because of the friendly atmosphere.

While Guilford College night usually attracts a crowd of students who dance, chat and having fun, Wednesday night —Bass night — is also quite crowded. Bass night features a DJ playing any sort of music with a heavy bass line, from dubstep to electronic to hip hop and everything in between. Fridays and Saturdays at The Clubhouse are also free for anyone who is 21 or older with college identification, not just Guilford students, and there is live music both weekend nights.

“You’re always going to see someone you know,” said senior Gabo Lemos. “It’s especially packed on Wednesday nights; because that’s the night everyone’s ready to take a break.”

Most Guilford students visit The Clubhouse because it is within walking distance — which is imperative for those without a car or a designated driver — and because they know people who hang out there. However, one of the main reasons to go to The Clubhouse cited by people who know her is a local bartender known as Shimmi Updatree. On Guilford College nights, shooters are only three dollars, and most people who are of-age prefer to request Shimmi shots.

“Whatever the Universe shoots into my brain at any given time is what I put in the shaker,” said Updatree when asked how to make a Shimmi shot. “It’s got to be within my righteous abilities to make it delicious, but the Universe is never wrong.”

The Clubhouse is definitely a Guilford destination on both weeknights and weekends, and is a place where college students can get away from the stresses of school and just hang out with friends while listening to a good DJ or band and playing a little pool or dancing.

Because, after a hard week writing papers and going to seemingly interminable classes, sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name.