Tebows’ success demonstrates the power of determination

Denver Quarterback Tim Tebow points to the heavens after scoring one of his three rushing TD’s of the season. (provided courtesy of detnews.com)

Critics said that he would not be a college quarterback; critics said he would not win the national championship, and critics said that he would not be a starting quarterback in the NFL. 

The critics were wrong. 

Tim Tebow is one of the most unconventional-yet very successful quarterbacks in recent times. He won the Heisman Trophy in 2007, two national championships with the Florida Gators, and in 2010 was drafted in the first round by the Denver Broncos. 

Tebow has won six games and lost only once, 45-10 v. Detroit, since taking over for recently released quarterback Kyle Orton as the Broncos starting signal-caller. His accomplishments leave many people wondering whether his success comes from his athletic ability or willpower.

“I think that having heart has the ability to play a major role at the NFL level,” said senior Sports Management major, and former Guilford College soccer player, Gillian Carroll. “When it comes to heart and the will to do anything you can to extend the play and give your team a chance. Tebow has been consistently doing this.”

Most of Tebow’s passion comes from his faith. His parents taught him from an early age to speak openly about his faith in God. He demonstrates his faith on and off the field, in everything that he does.  

Randall Cunningham, a 16-year veteran of the NFL, spoke highly of Tebow when asked by the Las Vegas Review Journal of his impression of the young quarterback. 

“I experienced all the same things,” Cunningham said. “I love Tim Tebow. He is in the perfect situation to demonstrate his faith. God has elevated this young man to a place of trying to open people’s eyes to the importance of having faith … This is a divine time for America, and I truly believe a young man of such character, while receiving a lot of persecution from others, is speaking the words that God wants all of us to hear.”

His out-spoken belief in Christianity has caused fans to either love Tebow or hate him. 

“Twenty years ago, the media and fans praised athletes who had a strong faith, but today’s media is very different,” said former Guilfordian sports editor, Patrick Childs ’10. 

“If Tebow wasn’t so passionate about his faith, I think that he would give into the media, and stop his public religious practices – but he hasn’t, and I don’t think he ever will stop taking a knee, despite all the criticism.”

Most Bronco’s fans realize that Tebow is full of passion, determination and high-energy, but they are also realistic about his potential as a quarterback. 

“It is hard to imagine Tebow would be a successful NFL quarterback over the long haul, but if he is surrounded by the right players, I suppose it could happen,” said Assistant Professor of Sports Studies, Bob Malekoff. “

His ability to run effectively is certainly a dimension that puts pressure on opposing teams.”

Most fans know that in order to win championships you need a great quarterback and Tebow does not fit in the category of great quarterbacks right now. 

“Any football fan who has watched Tebow’s many game-winning drives would tell you that his determination to win is what won the Broncos those games – as well as the Denver defense, which deserves most of the credit,” said Childs. 

“As much as Denver believes that Tebow can win games, they don’t think that he will actually lead the Broncos to the Super Bowl.” 

“But, once again, he’s proven us wrong before.”