The women’s rugby team brings resilience and fun to the field

%28Hannah+Fillingim%29
(Hannah Fillingim)

On the fields where the women’s rugby team practices, there is a sense of both intense resilience and friendly laughter. One thing that makes the Guilford women’s rugby team so unique is their combination of tough-yet-amiable attitudes.

Concerning the tough aspect of the women’s rugby team, junior Hannah Fillingim, the “fitness captain,” ensures that the team works out at the gym together on a weekly basis. Also, she leads the girls on 12-minute interval runs before practice. Their practice, which consists of running lines while passing the ball, doing drills, and scrimmaging, is anything but easy.

“It’s a very physical sport and there’s high risk of injury,” said Fillingim. “We play for 80 minutes. You have to have good endurance. You have to have speed. It’s a really challenging sport but it’s rewarding.”

Steven Moran, the assistant director of student leadership & engagement, is the staff advisor for the women’s rugby team. He understands the time and energy invested into the fitness aspect of the sport.

“They coach themselves and bring in trainers to work with them on strength and conditioning. Sometimes they bring in a coach from a semi-professional area team to work with them,” said Moran.

Although a very high contact sport, sophomore Emily Morazán is reassuring while encouraging other girls to join the team.

“We would love to have anyone, any size; you’re not going to die. We have a really amazing team. I love all the girls here,” said Morazán.

As implied by Morazán’s statement, friendship among the players is a huge part of women’s rugby. Sophomore Kelsey Worthy, who has never attended a women’s rugby match at Guilford, knew girls in her hall last year that joined the team and immediately felt welcomed.

“Although I’ve never personally been involved with the sport, I always got the idea that the women’s rugby team is a very supportive community,” said Worthy. “I would always hear about how easily all the girls bonded.”

Another huge part of the women’s rugby team is the ease with which the team shifts from annihilating one another to becoming friends.

Junior Peach McCarty, the team captain, discussed her favorite part of the game. “We play against a team and try to kill each other on the field, but then we meet up afterwards and sing songs and have fun together. It’s totally this social thing,” said McCarty. “In other sports, you come with enemies; you hate the other team. But with (women’s rugby) it’s like, ‘oh yeah. That team is really fun to social with; they’re going to kill us on the field, but they’re really fun.'”

Not only are the women rugby players friendly with opposing teams, but they’re close with the Guilford men’s rugby team as well.

“We’re working with the boys this year more. There’s a lot more cohesion between the two teams,” said Morazán. “It should be a good season. There’s been lots of improvement for both teams.”

Morazán, who manages the financial side of the sport, is not the only team member who values having a close relationship with the men rugby players.

“We have a lot of camaraderie with the men’s rugby team,” said McCarty. “They help us out when we need it. Also, we socialize with the guys all the time; it’s really fun.”

Moran, who has been the staff advisor since September 2010, was asked to choose one word to describe the women’s rugby team. Without hesitation, he chose “awesome.”

“The work they do to put together matches and organize practices, and the time and energy they put into the sport is just awesome,” said Moran. “They are fantastic and a ton of fun. They really work hard to represent the college well.”

As for the team’s future, the captain has big plans ahead filled with lots of tackling and ruffles.

“This year during Serendipity, I hope to come out and play rugby while wearing prom dresses,” said McCarty. “It wouldn’t be anything official, just a friendly game of rugby full of tackling people in prom dresses.”