Super Team, Cloud 9, and The Cool Kids give explosive Serendipity performance

(Cloud Gamble, Taylor Shields)

The temperature was low but energy was high inside the Ragan-Brown Field House for the main event of Serendipity 2011. The final concert featured three hip hop-based bands — Super Team, Cloud 9, and headliner, The Cool Kids. After three days of fun, this was the crowning moment.

The concert was moved indoors due to rain and cold weather, but students came ready to rock unhindered by the change in location. People started pouring in at least a half hour before the concert’s scheduled beginning time. Taking the stage first were local favorites, Super Team.

“The cool thing about Super Team being here is that students wrote them in to demand that they perform,” said senior and Serendipity Committee Chair Hannah Kennedy. “It was very empowering and very Guilford.”

Once Super Team started performing, the crowd of eager souls with painted faces turned into a bouncing and dancing mass. The band turned the stage into a virtual trampoline, doing everything they could to invigorate the audience.

Super Team had a relatively short performance due to the need to close the building at 11:00. But by the end of the set, the crowd wasn’t ready to see them go, chanting “Super Team” until they got an encore.

“Cloud 9 loves you guys so much that they’re letting Super Team go one more song,” senior Liz LaPlanche told the audience.

After Super Team left the stage, Cloud 9 took to action. With a harder, guitar-based style, the group erupted with sound, forming an assault from the speakers.

“I got there just as Super Team was getting off the stage, but got to see all of Cloud 9, who turned about to be fantastic,” said junior Kalyn Howard. “The whole crowd seemed to be really into it and they’re really talented. I’m glad I got a CD afterward.”

“I only like a few hip-hop artists, but the band was really energetic, and drew from a lot of different genres,” said junior Nicole Guilfoyle.

Cloud 9 left the stage with the crowd ready for more. Luckily, it was only a short intermission before headliner, The Cool Kids, took the stage. The group performed with a laid-back attitude and enticing grooves.

“(The Cool Kids) had a nice classic hip hop style that I’ve always liked,” Howard said. “But they seemed a lot calmer compared to Cloud 9.”

Calm or not, The Cool Kids did not let the energy drop.

“(The Cool Kids) were really good,” said junior Susan Robare. “(They were) very energetic and fun to dance to.”

The Cool Kids ended their set a song too soon for most of the audience. It wasn’t long after the band left the stage that a surging chant for an encore began to boil out of the crowd. The Cool Kids returned to the stage for one more song before officially ending the show.

Although it was over, the concert made its impact, ending the weekend’s sponsored events with a bang.

“Overall it was an amazing concert, much better than last year’s, in my opinion,” Howard said. “Altogether the performances were wonderful. This was the best Serendipity concert I’ve been to.”