Life before Guilford: Lucas the ghost

Lucas the ghost shares an impromptu performance in his usual haunting ground in Dana. (Taylor Shields )

Lucas was difficult to get a hold of. As a ghost, he tends to disappear and go unseen and not heard from for days, or even weeks. After calling and waiting, was finally able to sit and chat with him at about 3 a.m. in his usual haunting grounds in Dana Auditorium.

He stands at about 5 foot 10 — about the average height for his generation, according to Lucas. He is dressed in the gray Civil War uniform that he was wearing upon his death; it’s tattered and dingy. 

“These are my only duds,” Lucas said as he stared into the window trying to adjust his jacket. “It’s quite frustrating that they don’t make mirrors for ghosts. I used to be quite the dandy — the ladies really loved me. It’s hard not to let yourself go in the afterlife.”

Before serving his country, Lucas owned a large plantation. Despite living a comfortable life, he was taken by the idea of going to war. 

“I got bored,” said Lucas. “Being on a battlefield in the crisp air, now that’s thrilling. Also, women can’t resist a man in uniform … I mean, that wasn’t my main motivation, but it was a perk.”

However, his dream came to a crashing halt as a “fresh fish.” Lucas was shot in the thigh, and then again in the arm. Lucas was taken to a nearby war hospital, which Dana Auditorium is built over 

“I was knocked into a cocked hat, Lucas said. “I’d been wounded before. Got shot in the arm last time, but it went straight through and I didn’t have to worry about anything. This time, I had to muster up some grit. Thinking about how a few good war wounds would add to my image helped.”

Unfortunately for Lucas, these wounds gave him a fatal infection. Looking back, he doesn’t regret it though. 

“It was time for a change,” said Lucas. “I was tired of all the guts, blood, and dirt of battle. I have to admit that I never considered becoming a ‘mischievous ghost.’ It didn’t seem like a viable career option; but now I’m glad that’s where my so-called ‘life’ ended up.” 

Lucas wandered about the war hospital in his new-found ghostly body. 

“It was new and exciting,” said Lucas. “I could walk through walls and disappear and then reappear on a whim.”

But the excitement wore off. Out of boredom, Lucas starting playing tricks on the nurses. Lucas is infamous for turning on and off lights in Dana, as well as locking and unlocking doors. 

“Becoming a ghost really allowed me to get in touch with my inner-child,” said Lucas. “I was mischievous as a young boy, and leaving my corporeal body behind has really allowed me to accept my true calling as a prankster.” 

Lucas has since been wandering around Dana Auditorium. 

“It never gets old,” Lucas said as he got up and floated towards the door. “I don’t plan to change careers anytime soon. There’s too much good I can do for the Guilford community.” 

With those final words, Lucas turned off the lights and disappeared.