International food mart a shopping must

%28%29
()

North Carolina is not known for her cities. Country images dominate concepts of the Tar Heel State. This image is similar to the image of the rest of the South: pretty, but not diverse.

But go to her cities, and North Carolina can surprise you with her diversity. Cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, and our own Greensboro contain a lot more international diversity than most people may realize.

However, I do not blame people for not realizing this — the diversity is there, but it’s not that visible. Sometimes you have to seek it out. If you are still reading this, you are probably someone who wants to seek it out and experience it for all it is worth.

Then allow me to direct you to the Super G Mart on West Market St. This international food mart is the place to go for all those things you cannot find anywhere else. Here you can buy food from East Asia, India, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and more.

After walking through the building’s doors, American pop music and a colorful selection of fruits and vegetables greet you. Korean pears, dragon fruits, cheap pomegranates, and the biggest carrots you will ever see fill the front of the store. This is a good chance to spice up that salad with something new.

However, if you are a meat-eater, you might want to wander to the meat section, where you can find some more good deals. I saw packs of two rib eye steaks for about $5.

Of course, more squeamish people would do well to avoid the meats. You will find a lot of things that can easily turn an American stomach. They sell beef lips, cheek meat, tongue, heart, testicles, small intestines, and brains, just to name a few. Not to mention an array of pig organs, goat heads (you read that right), and, of course, tripe. This is the place for adventurous souls.

You can also find fresh fish at Super G. I usually avoid this section, but there are interesting things here too. Jellyfish and squid are two things you might want to try.

However, I tend to spend my money in a different section of the mart: the candy section. There is a vast assortment of sweets, mostly from East Asia.

I often get a product called “Hello Panda”. This treat is a hard biscuit shell with chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry cream inside.

You can also find the famous Pocky here. Pocky are biscuit sticks coated in chocolate, and they are very popular. There are different flavors of Pocky, as well. Try it; you will not regret it.

If you are over 21, you can go to the back of the store and find different imported beers, mostly from Mexico. There is also sake and sweet plum wine.

Super G is a great place to find all these things and more. Not only that, but you can see a little bit of our city’s diversity, which unfortunately is not always very visible. So get some friends, head over, and try something you have never tried before. But don’t say I didn’t warn you about the goat heads.