Guilford community remembers Mary Minor

(Michael Crouch)
(Michael Crouch)

On Jan. 19, people filled the Moon Room of Dana Auditorium to celebrate the life and mourn the death of Mary Minor, who was a part of the Guilford community for over 30 years. Minor, known as “Puddin” to her family, died on Dec. 24, 2010, at the age of 62.

“Mary meant so much to this community, and she obviously meant so much to so many other communities,” said Director of the Friends Center and Campus Ministry Coordinator Max Carter to a room overflowing with members of both Minor’s family and the Guilford community.

The service was held in the manner of Friends. Those present sat in silent reflection, but were welcome to stand up and share when they felt moved. Silence never lasted long, as many people had something to share about their relationship and experiences with Minor.

Minor was a Guilford employee who held multiple positions during her time working for the college, and she brought a unique touch to everything she did.

“I had the great fortune of working down the hall from Mary,” said Disability Services Coordinator Kim Burke. “Every morning I would hear her singing down the hall. One morning I asked her, ‘Mary, how do you manage to sing every morning like that?’ She hugged me and said, ‘Child, you can always find something to sing about.'”

Professional Tutor Doug Smith shared one of his memories of Minor.

He had been singing along with Al Green in his office, thinking he was alone in the library. He then heard Minor say, “Now that’s what I want to hear.” Smith ended his story by reflecting on what a generous person Minor was.

“I will carry her with me,” Smith later told The Guilfordian.

Others reflected on how Minor approached her work life.

“Mary brought a quality to our office that cannot be replaced,” said Vice President for Academic Affairs and Academic Dean Adrienne Israel. “She brought kindness and a sense of humor to work. No matter how bad things got, she always looked on the bright side.”

Those in attendance greatly enjoyed and appreciated the memorial service.

“It was a really special service for a very special lady,” said Executive Assistant to the President Joyce Eaton. “The combination of people from Guilford and (Minor’s) family was wonderful; she was obviously beloved by faculty, staff, and students. She was a dear lady whose spirit and legacy will be with Guilford for a long time.”

The memorial service behind them, members of the Guilford community will continue to remember Minor and hold her close to their hearts.

“Everything that was said at the service was true,” said Professor of English Jim Hood. “She was a wonderful, kind, warm, giving, and prayerful person whose smile lit up your day. I was privileged to have known her.”

Minor is already missed, but people still rejoice in her life. The service was more laughs than tears, and more celebration than mourning.