Community center renovation in the works

%28Guilford+College%29
(Guilford College)

The dining hall, Founders lobby, and the bookstore have all been renovated in the last three years. Next on the list may be the Community Center’s game room, located on the right as you walk toward the North Apartments.

A plan to renovate the Community Center was presented at the Community Senate meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 26. According to Community Senate President Dana Hamdan, redesigning the game room will allow for more appropriate utilization of the lounge.

“We hope to revive this space into an actual community space,” said Hamdan. “It will be a lounge during the day where students can study, hang out, listen to music, and form friendships. At night, it will be possible to explore the many student and local talents that we have by allowing students to play music, read poetry, and enjoy the college atmosphere.”

“The concept of the Community Center is a great idea,” said Kristin Charest-Fulks, hall director for the North and South Apartments. “Anything that will encourage students and community members to use the space will be a positive thing.”

Charest-Fulks sees remodeling the game room as a chance to revitalize a space that is not living up to its potential.

Though the game room once held actual games, the computers have been taken out and the television’s satellite access has expired. The game room also changed from being a student space to becoming a reserve-only space, which affects who can use it and for what types of events.

According to Hamdan, the game room was closed to students in fall 2009, due to issues with vandalism.

“Vandalism is no excuse to keep students out,” said Hamdan. “The space should be open now.”

Efforts made last semester to re-open the game room for students were unsuccessful, so Community Senate pursued the redesign option. The major features of the redesign are a stage and sound equipment, effectively converting the lounge area into a concert area.

Adam Katzman, WQFS promotions manager, is wary about the utility of the new concert space.

“It sounds great for a practice space, but it isn’t like a real venue,” said Katzman. “The capacity is also minimal. I can see it working for an open mic, but it wouldn’t be sustainable as somewhere an organization can host a big-name artist.”

Charest-Fulks also foresees some difficulties with the redesign.

“Events such as the upcoming Superbowl Party could be hindered due to the lack of a TV,” said Charest-Fulks, a concern that was also brought up at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

According to Hamdan, though the current plans for the room do not include a TV, one could easily be included to enhance the utility of the room.

“What will differentiate this space from any space is that it was brought by the students, sponsored by the students, and is for the students,” said Hamdan. “The ownership and responsibility of the student body is what will make this space a success.”