Freeman returns ‘powerful and explosive’

“Powerful and explosive.”That is how head volleyball coach Emily Gann describes sophomore outside hitter Brittany Freeman.

“She is a very dominant person on the court, the team’s go-to player, and very exciting to watch,” Gann said.

Freeman describes herself as an intense and competitive player. She explained that her outgoing personality gets amplified when she steps into battle.

“What attracted me to Brittany as a recruit was her power-hitting and enthusiasm on the court,” Gann said.

The biggest progression that Freeman has made this year has been her leadership. She took on being the vocal leader late last season, and has embraced it. Gann said she is always vocal before and during games, and even in the preseason.

“On game day she takes the initiative and gets the team ready to play,” Gann said.

So far this season, Freeman has 134 kills and averages 2.73 kills per game. She also has ten aces during the year – which are serves the other team does not touch – to go along with her kills.

This should come as no surprise because the 5’11” outside hitter from Hendersonville, N.C. was a stand-out player as soon as she stepped onto the court. Last year, she finished first on the team in kills with 250, and kills-per-game with 2.84. Freeman was tied for first in service aces with 27, and led the team in total points on the season with 305.

These numbers ranked seventh among Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) leaders in service aces and sixth in kills in 2009.

Freeman is the teammate players want to have on their team. She will get in a teammate’s face if she must to make her better as a player. Other times, she will not say anything and just lead by example.

“She matures and gains confidence every game,” Gann said. “Brittany critiques the little things to get to the next level.”

Off the court, Freeman displays the same vocal personality. She enjoys every type of music – except country – and majors in political science and peace and conflict studies with an East Asian studies minor. The self-proclaimed “education buff” finds changing diction and language and the effect they have on people’s perception of control extremely interesting, and wants to go to Georgetown University for law.

Freeman takes her intensity to the classroom as well.

“She is highly motivated to do all the work, and always puts forth tremendous effort,” said Associate Professor of Political Science and East Asian studies George Guo. “Brittany’s positive attitude and enthusiasm make her classroom a warm and lively place; she is always passionate about her work.”

She also loves going to art shows, music festivals and hiking.

“Sometimes I love to get away from campus and go camping,” said Freeman. “I’m really an outdoorsy person.”

When asked why she chose Guilford College, Freeman replied, “To play volleyball, get a good education, and I felt like I was a good mix between an athlete and hippie.”

This season, with Freeman’s strong leadership role, the whole team has progressed a great deal. Gann thinks Freeman is a perfect fit for Guilford volleyball.

“Brittany loves to talk, makes decisions naturally, and is a leader outside of the gym as well,” Gann said. “She likes to be challenged and is one of the best recruits who fits what a Guilford College athlete should be.