One City, One Book presents: ‘The Soloist’

Every other year, the Greensboro Public Library and many community partners sponsor a city-wide reading of a selected book. The program, known as One City, One Book, offers a diverse range of programs such as film showings, readings, discussions, and theatrical productions to connect the whole community in the themes of the selected work.

This year, the selected work is “The Soloist: A Lost Dream, an Unlikely Friendship, and the Redemptive Power of Music,” by Los Angeles Times writer Steve Lopez. The book tells an emotional, true story of the incredible bond between a journalist and a homeless, classically trained musician.

“‘The Soloist’ is an excellent choice because it brings together so many different issues: the power of music, the tragedy of homelessness, the pain and frustration of dealing with friends or family suffering from mental illness,” said Hege Library Director Leah Dunn.

The program has a diverse line-up of events throughout October to get the community involved with the book. Events include community awareness programs about homelessness, a Triad Stage theatrical adaptation, and a talk by Jennifer Ayers-Moore, sister of the soloist.

“The events are designed to provide a variety of ways of meeting the goals of One City, One Book, which is to get an entire community reading, and more importantly, talking about and even acting upon the issues surrounding one book,” said Dunn.

Three of the upcoming events are on Guilford’s campus. These events are geared to get the students involved with the community and participate in the discussion.

“I hope the events inspire students and the community because they are dealing with relevant themes,” said senior Hannah Kennedy. “Instead of just talking about the book, we are talking about homelessness and that is really important and powerful.”

Dunn said that the library is giving out free copies of the book and hosting events in the hope that the Guilford community will take advantage of the opportunity to take part in the city-wide event.

In addition to a free viewing of the film based on the book on Oct. 7, there will also be an exhibition of photographs by Susan Mullally in the art gallery centered on the themes of homelessness on Oct. 8.

“Art is a powerful thing,” said art curator Pro Tem Kelsey McMillan ‘08. “Her stellar, eye-catching photos make people question their lifestyle and evaluate their choices. Homelessness is a scary reality.”

Mullally asks her subjects — most of whom are struggling with homelessness, addiction, mental illness, and/or poverty — what he or she keeps and why it is valued. The photographs are aimed at understanding what objects people in homeless situations cherish.

The last major event held on campus will be a discussion of “The Soloist” on Oct. 10. Both Dunn and McMillan agreed that this is a must-see event. There will be trained facilitators from the Greensboro Public Library to lead a book discussion.

“The discussion will help people digest the book because it is very powerful,” said McMillan. “When people bring in new, moving perspectives and when people share powerful ideas it becomes a whole different experience.”

Dunn agrees.

“If the discussion can lead to activism and advocacy that can improve the community, then all the better,” Dunn said. “For me, as a librarian, I’m just happy to see people reading, and hopefully talking about what they read.”