Flying high again

By now the semester is getting well underway, and we are all feeling the monotony that can accompany schoolwork. We all feel it eventually and every now and then we might have to take some me-time to break away from the routine, and, in a way, fly.If we are looking for inspiration on how to do this, our nation’s airlines might be a good place to start, with many recent incidents making the news.

First, there is Bridget Brown, a 15-year-old who saved up her babysitting money to buy plane tickets through Southwest Airlines from Jacksonville, Fla., to Nashville, Tenn., for herself, her younger brother and a friend. No one they encountered on their journey asked them any questions.

After landing in Nashville, they were still a hundred miles away from their destination of Dollywood and without enough money to get there, they had to call home. Southwest flew them back and refunded their money.

Afterward, Brown said, “I just wanted to fly and I had the money.” This attitude is not completely practical, and taking a flight just for the sake of it might not be very realistic for us, but why not take a walk every now and then just because?

Next, you may have already heard about Beverly McCurley, Southwest Airlines flight attendant. McCurley made ripples in the news recently when she took a baby from its mother during a flight after the mother slapped the child on the face in retaliation when the 13-month-old kicked her.

The baby’s father followed McClurey to the back of the plane and held the child until she fell asleep, safely away from the mother.

So think about this incident and keep this in mind – we should never be so involved in our work that we ignore the wrong that people do. I guarantee you that if you do not speak up or act out when you disagree with something, especially at Guilford, you will go crazy.

Another flight attendant enjoying recent fame is Steven Slater, a JetBlue employee who quit his job by making quite the scene.

Slater was hit in the head when a passenger who refused to sit down attempted to retrieve their luggage. Either the luggage or compartment door struck Slater, apparently by accident. Slater asked for an apology, but instead the passenger cursed him out.

In quick response, Slater got on the PA system, returned fire by cursing the rude passenger out, and quit his job. He then grabbed a beer and activated the emergency chute. After sliding out of the grounded plane, he drove home, where police found him later in bed with his boyfriend.

And this is why it’s important to take that time for you. This semester, break free before you are under too much pressure, or, like Slater, you will go too far and will never fly again.