Senior day ends in loss for women

“We would like to welcome Virginia Wesleyan to Guilford and our new facility,” head coach Eddie Luck said at the start of the April 18 women’s tennis match. Although the Quakers lost 5-4 to the Marlins, this Saturday was special for the women’s team because they said goodbye to their only senior, Hilary Routon, in the annual “Senior Day” celebration.

“We love her and we are going to miss her and everything she brings to the team,” co-captains Liz Killian and Nina Bollag said.

In her four years at Guilford, Routon has accumulated a 32-34 record.

“I’m just trying not to think about it too much because I’m sad about leaving,” Routon said before her doubles match with first-year Mary Simpson.

Virginia Wesleyan has only lost one match in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) this season, and the women knew it would be a difficult match.

“I think we are going to play really hard and try our best today,” Bollag said.

The women played hard at doubles, which showed from a 9-7 victory for Simpson and Routon, and a default victory for first-year Paulette Wyatt and junior Morgan Howard. Wyatt went on to become the only Guilford player to win her singles match with a 6-3, 7-5 victory against junior Morgan Franklin.

As the match came to a close, the Quakers’ top three singles players played their last sets with the Wesleyan women.

After a hard fight, and some long points by the lady-Quakers, Marlin players Imee Bautista, Megan Crook and Meredith Willett overcame Simpson, Bollag and Killion.

Routon and Wesleyan junior Shannon Sabo had a number of long volleys at fourth singles that had spectators’ heads bobbing back and forth. However, Routon couldn’t clinch the win and Sabo took the victory (6-2, 6-1).

Luck didn’t seem too disappointed with the loss and felt the women put up a good fight.

“Their team is very consistent, everybody played good,” Luck said. “Virginia Wesleyan is a solid team and we definitely pushed the brink.”

The lady Quakers have clinched a sixth or a fifth seed in the ODAC tournament and will play either Emory and Henry or Bridgewater in the tournament’s first round on April 24.