Crying in sports: acceptable?

The final seconds wound down, and defeat was reality. There I was, slouched on my couch in my Philadelphia Eagles jersey, drinking out of my Eagles mug, and watching the Eagles lose yet another NFC Championship game.

I took a deep breath, counted to ten, looked at the ceiling, and fought back my tears. I haven’t always been successful in my fight against tears; in fact, there have been many occasions when the Hoover dam in my eyes broke, and all tears flowed free. In emotional moments in sports, it is easy for one to cry.

I recall heart-wrenching times as when the Yankees lost game seven to the Red Sox in 2004, or the first time I got cut from a sports team in grade school. I even resorted to crying after the telling tale of Rudy Ruettiger in the film “Rudy.” Rudy, a determined football player, overcame his small size, and played football for the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. When Rudy sprinted onto the field for the first time, I spilt one tear.

In those emotional times, I resorted to a small cry. In my defense, I didn’t have a choice. All one can do to avoid crying is to take deep breaths, which still isn’t a guaranteed cure.

I have even seen one sad soul render an excuse for his teary eyes after his favorite team lost a big game: “Dude, I think I have a sinus infection or something.” I later heard the poor man weeping in the back room.

But really, did he need an excuse? Is it acceptable for one to cry in sports?

I once watched Terrell Owens, a professional football player cry in a post-game interview after his team lost in the playoffs. Most recently, I witnessed Kevin Garnett hide his tears under the brim of his hat after the Boston Celtics won the NBA Finals. He was then quoted, “Anything is possible!”

Owens and Garnett are two respected players in their sports; two large men, who you don’t want to call “big babies.” I feel comfortable defending crying in sports, especially knowing that Owens and Garnett have my back. And who knows, as I need them to cover my back, they may need my shoulders to cry on.