Thanks for the Turkey? No, thanks for the Football

Thanksgiving is often considered the official kick-off to the holiday season.It’s the crazy family moments, the homemade meals, and the early morning shopping that makes our four-day vacation a welcome break from the stresses presented by classes.

But Thanksgiving is highlighted by more than just turkey, stuffing, and delectable desserts. With Thanksgiving Day comes a menu full of football games.

The Turkey Day football experience started early for me this year. Watching SportsCenter on the couch doing “research” excused me from helping Mom in the kitchen and even got me out of most of the clean-up process.

The noon start time of “game one” of the Thanksgiving Day triple-header proved to be a little early for my holiday vacation sleep schedule, but I managed to crawl out of bed, walk down the steps, and collapse onto the couch long enough to watch the Tennessee Titans’ (11-1) rushing attack crush any hope of a Detroit Lions (0-12) win.

The Lions have the longest Thanksgiving Day tradition, hosting a game in every season since 1934 (with the exception of 1939-1944), posting a 35-32-1 record on the day of thanks. This year, Detroit allowed a Thanksgiving-worst: 47 points on their way to their 12th loss this season (tying a franchise record).

The Dallas Cowboys boast an impressive Thanksgiving Day resume. The Cowboys (8-4) have suited up on Turkey Day every year since 1966, amassing an overall record of 26-14-1.

This year the Cowboys hosted an injury-laden Seattle Seahawks squad (2-10). The Seahawks match-up of the Thanksgiving Day veterans started at 4:15, just in time for my family’s Thanksgiving dinner.

Piling on an array of my uncle’s deep-fried turkey, home-cooked stuffing, green beans, corn, and yams, I filled up with “Mama’s” sweet tea and landed in front of the TV in time for kick-off.

While the aunts, grandmas, and girls of the family ate in the kitchen, talking and drinking coffee, the men were parked in front of the TV discussing sports and watching the Cowboys put on an offensive display worthy of their 34-9 onslaught of the struggling Seahawks.

After the Cowboys’ victory, a competitive one-on-one basketball game between me and my cousin left me with an embarrassing loss and an appetite for dessert.

In my family, desserts are the main feature of Thanksgiving, which is highlighted by the smooth cream cheese icing on mom’s homemade pumpkin roll. A war zone is created around the desert tray with everyone vying for the last slice of her seasonal delicacy.

Stuffed, with coffee in hand, the men once again returned to the living room to catch the final third of the Thanksgiving football menu.

The Arizona Cardinals (7-5) took on the Philadelphia Eagles (6-5-1) in the city of brotherly love. Philly quarterback Donovan McNabb earned his starting job back with the help of a record-tying, four-touchdown performance by running back Brian Westbrook. The clicking Eagle offense outlasted the Cardinals and provided yet another Thanksgiving rout, 48-20.

Despite a day plagued by three lopsided games, the holiday season and Thanksgiving experience were in full effect. Catching up with family on who’s dating whom, chatting about the upcoming baseball season, and even posing for a few pictures is what Turkey Day is all about.

After all, with family and football close by, what’s not to be thankful for?