FYE proposal undergoes fourteenth revision

On Nov. 12, faculty met in a forum to discuss a revised proposal for rebuilding the First Year Experience (FYE). Now in its fourteenth draft, the proposal targets many of the same goals as the current FYE program. Retention remains a goal of increased focus in the latest proposal. Last year the retention rate for first-years fell to 68 percent, down from the previous year and marking a low point in Guilford history.

“Retention doesn’t have to be about the statistics, or the checks coming in, it is us faculty really feeling like Guilford is a good place to be educated. And feeling like you will be better off if you stay here to get your education,” said Cynthia Nearman, assistant professor of English and director of writing.

FYE currently offers different courses in various departments to introduce students to college-level learning. In addition, first-years register for an FYE lab designed to promote proper time management, study skills, and community involvement.

“My focus is to help first-years make a smooth transition,” said Aaron Fetrow dean of students and FYE lab instructor,. “As a result, this type of persistence will help increase retention rates.”

However, according to some first-years, the demanding workload makes the transition anything but easy.

“The lab is pointless, and the course itself is more focused on the writing rather than important things like life skills and learning strategies,” said first-year Mary Moody.

Moody discussed the benefits behind having an advisor as your FYE teacher, an aspect that has remained the same through all drafts of the program’s new proposal.

The newest proposal discussed at the faculty forum introduced many new ideas to help with the ongoing development of the FYE proposal. The first curricular change in the new system shifts the focus from writing to oral communications.

Students enroll at Guilford with different levels of academic progress. This unique situation proves challenging when trying to fill a class of first-year students into the universal first-year experience program.

“Were trying to introduce a more common experience by decreasing writing and placing more of an emphasis on oral communications,” said FYE coordinator Clay Harshaw.

“If there is anything about communications in FYE it should be oral,” said Nearman. “It could develop into a course where all students get an intro to communications at the college level.”

Despite a decrease in writing intensity and efforts to make FYE courses not “simply academic,” first-year students may be required to register for an English course as a co-requisite to FYE.

Another idea within the new proposal allows students to take FYE during the spring semester. Retention rate data is unavailable for this scenario.

The FYE proposal is not final, and the draft may see a 15th or even 16th revision.

“Investment,” said Nearman, when asked to summarize the constant development of the FYE in one word. “Investment is Guilford College investing in students, and students feeling inspired to invest themselves in the community all around them.