“The Express” tells story of first black Heisman winner

Great sports movies provide inspiration and motivate people to achieve their most improbable dreams. I have seen all the sports classics; “Major League,” “Remember the Titans” and “Rocky.” I am a sports movie connoisseur.

With the release of “The Express,” football’s latest box office ticket, I was anxious to be motivated. “The Express” is a tribute to Ernie Davis, the first African-American to win the coveted Heisman Trophy, awarded to the best college football player in the country.

The film outlines Davis’ entire life, from his childhood in Pennsylvania and New York to his career at Syracuse to his death.

“The Express” focuses primarily on Davis’ college years at Syracuse University and his accomplishments both on and off the field.

Syracuse opened Davis’ eyes to a world of racism. As soon as he stepped foot on campus, he battled teammates, coaches, and the bigotry surrounding pre-civil rights America.

Behind Davis, the Orangemen went undefeated in 1960 and won their first national championship in school history.

Even though Davis made a name for himself while at Syracuse, his road to fame was plagued with hardships.

During his sophomore year, Davis lost his father: his inspiration and role model. In addition, dirty play from racist opponents forced the agile Davis to not only run for Syracuse, but for African-Americans everywhere.

During a time when Dr. Martin Luther King was fighting for justice, Davis was running for equality.

And I know what you’re thinking: another movie about racism and sports. I thought the same thing. But the Ernie Davis story is different, Davis himself was different.

Although Davis faced the reality of being a premier African-American tailback in a white-dominated society, he remained cool, calm, and collected, unlike many of his teammates and African-American peers.

In 1961, Davis was awarded the Heisman Trophy, becoming the first African- American, and first Orangeman to be crowned “the best player in college football.” Davis’ ability on the field and his character off the field allowed him to handle his situation with diligence and patience.

“The Express” puts out a different vibe than most race-related sports movies. Sitting in the theatre, you cannot help but cheer on Ernie Davis. He is portrayed as an individual with tremendous heart and character.

Rob Brown, who plays Davis, does an excellent job of bringing Davis’ character to the big screen. And Dennis Quaid, Davis’ head coach in the film, delivers another great sports movie performance.

The plot unfolds beautifully, giving the audience a sense of anticipation for Davis’ success. “The Express” provides those “feel-good” emotions, which are present in the all-time great sports movies.

Action scenes on the field appear realistic enough, but aren’t the primary focus of the film. Davis’ actions off the field and his contributions to civil rights give the movie its appeal to sports movie connoisseurs everywhere.

Brown brought Davis to life on screen leaving me with goose bumps and audience members cheering aloud throughout Davis’ ride to the top.

“The Express” doesn’t fail to inspire, motivate, or tug on the emotions that make us all human. And although it can’t compete with “Remember the Titans,” it is worth a view to all sports movie fans.