Guilford finds green leadership

1) Why did you take this position at Guilford College? What did you do before?Environmental sustainability is one of the most important areas of focus to ensure our continued comfort on this amazing planet and as a dad I feel it is my personal responsibility to try and “clean things up” for the next generation. I started working at Guilford on January 9, 2008. Most recently I worked for S&ME, in the Environmental Engineering department, but the most fun employment I have had was being a whitewater raft guide for 8 years.

2) What are new projects/ideas are you introducing to the campus?

I have been on campus for a month and half. My focus so far has been to acquaint myself with this position and the goals of the Guilford community. I am brimming with new projects and ideas to be revealed in time that will promote and sustain Guilford’s efforts toward carbon neutrality.

3) What are you doing to promote awareness and ease the effects of the drought?

The college is installing 42 waterless urinals, 124 double position flush valves for toilets across campus, and 84 low flow showerheads. We need to all hold each other personally accountable to do our part to reduce water usage during the drought and beyond to maintain fresh water supplies for the future.

4) What are you doing to encourage recycling and become more sustainable?

I am maintaining the colleges recycling program, which was in pretty good shape when I arrived. What is needed most is promotion of the importance of recycling and education on what is recyclable. I am working to strengthen relationships with the City of Greensboro recycling division and the local community.

5) What other issues are you focusing on?

Global warming (focusing on goals outlined in the Presidents Climate Commitment), the local food community, and efficient running of the “Green Room”. My desire is to be a “spring board” for ideas from students, faculty, and staff so that we can work together as a community to reduce our environmental impact on our community.

6) How do you like the Guilford community so far and what is it like working with the students?

I absolutely love working with and being a part of the Guilford community. The students are what make this community a community and are our future. I feel great about my job – I get to educate future leaders on how to make sure our Earths’ precious resources last for my children – how cool is that?