Men’s soccer scores amazing victory

The Guilford men’s soccer team celebrated a major conference victory last Saturday, Sept. 15. In an excitingly close and hard-fought game, the Quakers overcame a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2 over rival Bridgewater College.

Bridgewater scored two goals early on in the game, which put a damper on team morale. But with the help of a strong fan base, the Quakers began to turn things around.

“When I first got here, the stands were silent,” said junior Shep Lashley. “But when more people started showing up, it made a difference. I think the fans really got the team going.”

The offensive efforts of Neil and Scott Meguid, both of whom scored one goal, gave the Quakers the boost they needed to get back into the game mentally.

Great defense by the Guilford backfield kept Bridgewater’s offense at bay long enough for the Quakers to get the final offensive push they needed. Joe Rigert scored the winning goal off a rebound, creating a fantastic finish to an invigorating game.

The coming weeks feature many important games, especially in the context of conference play, so check the schedule for the next home game.

With the community out to show support, in addition to the boost a win gives a team, we can certainly expect a lot more from our Quaker men’s crew.

“I really love watching soccer, so it was really nice to be able to go out there and support my friends and schoolmates,” said senior Laura Gustavson. “It was also great to see the Guilford community out in force.”