Regular poetry readings scheduled

Anastasia Smith, who will be featured in the upcoming poetry reading, is no stranger to public speaking as she read her Deans Writing Award-winning fiction last year. ()
Anastasia Smith, who will be featured in the upcoming poetry reading, is no stranger to public speaking as she read her Dean’s Writing Award-winning fiction last year. ()

“We celebrate the joy of words,” Doug Smith, professional tutor, said of Guilford’s upcoming readings. These annual events will take place on Sept. 13, Nov. 2 and Feb. 12 in the Founders Hall Gallery from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Faculty, staff and students can read selections from their favorite authors of poetry, short fiction and essays.At the first of these readings, “Eurydice’s Playground”, faculty will read their own poems, stories and essays. The reading will also celebrate one of Guilford’s own students.

Anastasia Smith, a junior double-majoring in English and French, will soon be a published author. Her short story “Eurydice” will run in Lake Effect, a nationally-distributed literary magazine printing out of Erie, Penn.

“I was really, really surprised that it happened,” Anastasia said as she humbly bowed her head and laughed. “It wasn’t the path I thought I was going towards.”

Surprise or no surprise, this is not the first time Anastasia’s work has been recognized. Last semester she won the Dean’s Writing Award for Fiction.

This year she is Editor-in-Chief of Guilford’s literary magazine, formerly known as The Piper. Last year it was renamed The Greenleaf Review, and it will come out this fall semester as well as in the spring. Anyone interested in submitting poems, prose-poems, art or short fiction can send an e-mail [email protected].

Anastasia will read her chilling and dark “Eurydice” on Sept. 13. She described the work as “sudden fiction”, a very short and direct piece. “I like to play with the ideas of time and space, the passage of time,” she explained.

Most fascinating is Anastasia’s experience with writing creative fiction; she has only been doing it for a short time.

“I’ve always enjoyed writing,” Anastasia said, “but I’ve just started writing fiction since I came to Guilford.”

Anastasia cites Doug Smith as her source of guidance, criticism and encouragement.

“He’s the one who got me to submit my story,” she said. “Doug’s helped me so much.”

At a school that proudly declares itself writing-intensive, Anastasia’s story is a glowing example of its strength.

Jennifer Brown, a writing instructor who became involved with the readings several years ago, said, “It’s great having a reading series as a forum for writing at Guilford.”

These three events may be for reading the words of others, but after every reading there will be an open mic session for anyone who wants to read their own work.

Don’t be intimidated by awarding-winning students and professors reading long, complicated ballads by obscure but important-sounding poets who have been dead for 500 years; these event are open to anyone who wishes to contribute.

Brown always encourages her students, many of whom are not English majors, to attend.

“A lot of people say [to me] ‘I would’ve never come until you told me about it,'” Brown said.

Often the most memorable and interesting readings are from the most unlikely sources. Brown amusedly recalled Assistant Professor of Mathematics Jon Hatch reading selections by satirist Dorothy Parker: “Who knew that the guy who teaches math loves this witty 20th century writer?”

Anecdotes like these prove a point: the love of the written word goes beyond the average English major.

So come for the poetry and prose: in September come and support a fellow Guilford student, come in November for readings involving war and peace, come in February for the always-popular readings on love, and, of course, stay for the refreshments.

Anyone who wants to participate or would like more information can e-mail Doug Smith at [email protected].