Bauman prepares for finals week

For some people, the quiet, sterile atmosphere of Bauman is the perfect place to write a paper during the crunch of finals. For others who don’t own computers, it’s the immediate choice for writing anything. There won’t be many changes to the operation of Bauman for exams this year, but the computer labs are just as likely to be full of students finishing last-minute projects.

All the lab’s normally used for classes will be opened as needed for overflow before and during exams. Caf Bauman will also be in the building the week before exams.

Geoff Leister, Assistant Director for User Services, said the recent server migration should improve the stability of the college network. “Hopefully we should have less traumatic experiences with students losing a document while on the network,” Leister said.

IT&S Help Desk hours will remain the same. The Help Desk is open from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. during the week, from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, and from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

Teresa Sanford, Associate Director of Applications Development and Support, will handle computer emergencies and organize Caf Bauman for students who need a to take a break from studying.

For the four days before reading day, Sanford will be the only person on call from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. to prevent panic when the help desk is closed.

“The big reason is stuff will go wrong when you don’t want it to – I’m here all night long so if something happens I have the tools to fix it,” said Sanford.

For many students, Caf Bauman is a highlight of the week before exams. Popcorn, mozzarella sticks, coffee, and fruit are a few of the snacks offered during the late nights before reading day. Everyone is invited, including CCE students and faculty.

“It’s really great that IT&S throws a banquet for us during exams,” said sophomore Daniel Lovatt. “It provides a much needed break.”

Sanford started Caf Bauman when she became concerned for the safety of students going off campus for food in the middle of the night during exam week. In the beginning, she supplied the food herself, but as the event became more popular, Randy Doss, Vice President for Enrollment and Campus Life, began to provide money from the Campus Life retention funds. Last year, Sodexho donated plates, napkins, juice, chips, coffee, and other items.

“It allows people who wouldn’t normally cross paths to meet over food,” said Sanford. “During the period of being stressed out over exams they find they have something in common.”

A graffiti wall is also available for students to vent frustrations, draw, and write poems. Sanford keeps the rolls of paper from each year in her office.

Caf Bauman has never been advertised but it usually starts a few days prior to reading day. Its enormous popularity has caused some problems including food theft. The increased attendance also makes shopping with a $500 budget more difficult.

Caf Bauman will not be taking place at the Help Desk this year because of the rise in attendance.

“I always try to have something new,” said Sanford. “Maybe I’ll have riddles this year to reveal the location.”