Passing laws that don’t make a difference

Congress is struggling to lower the United States’ reliance on foreign oil. That is, they were struggling with said problem, but they just came up with a brilliant solution.

According to CNN, Congress is going to vote on an energy bill that will extend daylight-saving time by two months. This will solve all of our energy problems.

Currently, daylight-saving time lasts from the first Sunday of April to the last Sunday of October.

With the proposed change, it will encompass the first Sunday of March to the last Sunday of November.

During these two new additional months, people will go to bed earlier (remember that the clocks get set ahead in the spring) and thus, save more energy.

The best part of this bill is its bipartisan nature. Fred Upton, a republican from Michigan, and Ed Markey, a democrat from Massachusetts, cosponsored it.

It’s good to see that, when faced with a difficult challenge like our energy crises, congressmen can learn to overstep party lines and come together, for the better of all society.

And it’s good to see a practical solution proposed. Instead of wasting time trying to develop alternative energy sources or increasing regulations on SUVs, we cut right to the chase: decrease the amount we of oil we use.

We use, on average, 20 million barrels of oil everyday. Now, with all the oil we’ll save not turning on lights, we will only use 19.99 million barrels everyday, according to Transportation Department estimates.

Congress declaring an extra two months of daylight will surely see us through this energy crisis.

Why stop here? Why not pass a law making it bright and sunny for 18 hours everyday. Then, we would use even less oil.

There’s no reason to stop there either. If we make a law that says the temperature must remain a constant 72 degrees, all the time, we won’t really need heat or air-conditioning. We would save hundreds of thousands of dollars on oil.

The best part: these laws would easily pass through the House and the Senate. Who wants to vote against the Sunny Day Act? What about the Perfect Climate Act?

Our politicians have incumbency rates ranging from 83 to 95 percent (depending on district and if they work in the Senate or the House). They are smart enough to know that voting against these acts would be a political disaster.

Would you reelect a senator who voted against the Sunny Day Act? I didn’t think so.

With all the money we save, we could invest in something new. Maybe we could figure out how to give brain transplants to lawmakers.