Rowe replaces Burke as head coach for men’s lacrosse

Burke, former coach of the men´s lacrosse team, leaves due to a family decision. ()
Burke, former coach of the men´s lacrosse team, leaves due to a “family decision.” ()

He is an alumnus and former All-American. He was supposed to rejuvenate the program and get it back on its feet. He was supposed to end the 12-year conference losing streak. Instead, Coach John Burke is leaving the Men’s Lacrosse team after just 18 months. At the end of Burke’s first season, the future of the team looked promising. He brought energy and intensity to the program, leading the Quakers to a 5-9 record in one of the best conferences in Division III lacrosse. The squad compiled its largest number of wins since 2001, when they finished 5-8.

Under his guidance, two alumni, defenseman Rob Mallonee and attackman Josh Miller, produced personal milestones. Mallonee became Guilford’s first all-ODAC selection since 1996, and Miller led all ODAC players in points-per-game.

“It was an extremely difficult decision to leave my school and my team, especially right before the season,” Burke said via e-mail. “It was a family decision.”

Currently, Burke is back with his family in California and coaching his nine-year old son’s AAU basketball team. “It is not quite ODAC lacrosse, but it is the best reason I can think of to be back in California,” he said.

Before leaving, Burke transferred control of the team to his top assistant, Andy Rowe.

As a player, Rowe twice received All-American honors as a midfielder at Ohio Wesleyan. He finished school there with 100 career goals.

“In my experience, I find great players do not make the best coaches. However, Andy has the rare ability to relate to all talent levels,” Burke said of Rowe. “He has always been a student of the game and he will do a great job. He has earned the respect of the team, and I am confident he will lead this team to greater heights.”

Last season, Rowe served as the offensive coach. The athletic department named him interim coach, and will readdress his long-term situation later this spring.

Rowe’s only head-coaching experience came at the middle-school level. However, he remains excited about this new opportunity.

“I’m not nervous,” said Rowe. “The same thing happened with my coach at Ohio Wesleyan. He was an assistant, out of school for two years, and he was named the interim coach when the head coach resigned. Now he’s been the head coach there for four years.”

Senior captain Drew Wit remained unfazed by his new coach’s lack of experience. “Every coach has to start somewhere,” said Wit. “Coach Rowe has made it clear to us that this is where he wants to stay.”

Still, Burke’s announcement shocked the majority of the team. “I was upset and a little mad,” said first-year midfielder Manny Sergeant. “He was one of the big reasons I came to this school.”

“You have to move on,” Sergeant added. “Everybody on the team tried to move on, but everybody still misses him.