Fancy Feet and Fingers club showcases American dance

They practice swing dances. They host contra dances. They play music. They are the Fancy Feet and Fingers club. This club, founded two years ago by the efforts of juniors Parks Marion and Annie Erbson, offers Guilford students the opportunity to learn more about American-style dances and American folk-music.

The club mainly focuses on two distinct types of dancing: swing- and contra-dancing.

“It’s a club that serves the whole Guilford community,” said sophomore Rachel Randall. “We provide ways for people to get to swing-dances and contra-dances (in the Greensboro area).”

Every Wednesday night, the club meets in the dance studio in King hall to practice swing dancing. Students give instructions aimed at beginners for the first hour of the meeting. The second hour focuses on more advanced dancers.

Occasionally, the club brings more accomplished teachers to give guest lectures. Two teachers from Sweden are coming to teach from March 25 to 27. Their lectures will focus on a more traditional style, straight from the dance halls of Harlem.

Swing dancing originated as a fast-paced alternative to ballroom dancing that involved more contact and more emphasis on male/female interaction. It is a partner-based dance involving twirling and spinning on an eight-step count. The music usually has a steady bass line and a large brass section.

“I like swing dances because they are a little bit more serious,” said sophomore Tristan Wilson. “It’s something I’ve learned. It’s more like a skill or a trade.”

On the other foot, contra-dancing is much more laid back.

“To contra dance, you only have to be able to walk and count to eight,” said Marion.

The club hosts a monthly contra-dance in Dana auditorium and provides students with transportation to other dances in Winston-Salem, Carrboro, and The Grange here in Greensboro.

During a contra-dance, a caller gives instructions to the dancers such as “Turn to the left,” “Circle to the right,” and “Swing your partner.” Dancers walk through the steps a few times without music before the actual dance begins.

While swinging and turning, participants trade partners down a long line of people. The band plays American folk-music, using guitars, fiddles, and banjoes among other instruments.

The music, the varied partners and the fun, family-oriented atmosphere make for a unique experience.

“I might dance with a 10-year-old, an 18-year-old, or a 25-year-old,” said Assistant Director of Admissions and club advisor Nancy Riemer. “You have this special moment where the music, the movement, and the connection with other people create an incredible experience.” Riemer has ten years of contra-dancing experience.

Though not everyone is that well acquainted with the scene, most people who attend one contra dance tend to go back for more.

“I went to my first contra dance as a prospective student and fell in love with it,” said Elizabeth Vachon, a first-year club member.

The club welcomes everyone who enjoys dancing or who wants to learn more about it to come to the Wednesday night meetings. You can learn a little about swing and find out when and where the next contra dance will be.

Junior Chris Wells summed up the club experience best, saying, “It’s an hour of exercise, good music, and you’re guaranteed to touch other people.