Out with the football team, in with the club

Should  football become a club sport instead of an athletic team program? ()
Should football become a club sport instead of an athletic team program? ()

Four years ago Swarthmore College received a great deal of criticism for dissolving its varsity football program. Despite the criticisms, Guilford should take similar steps in the wake of Coach Ketchum’s reassignment (see page 11 for details).
Swarthmore’s bold decision forces us to reexamine the role of a sports program at an academic institution.
Should a college invest heavily in the athletic department or should it focus funding on academics and student life?
The answer: a college is a place of learning first and foremost. Funding should go to athletics after academics, residential life, and student activities.
Having a sports program is not entirely negative. Sports draw more students to the school, who, if they pay full tuition, bring more revenue. This revenue can be used to improve all aspects of the school, from various academic departments to the physical condition of the campus.
In addition, if the college produces any professional athletes, it will often receive generous contributions from these famous alumni.
However, expensive and unsuccessful teams, such as the football program at Guilford, act as a severe financial drain on the campus.
All of the financial information relating to Guilford academics is public record located at www.ope.ed.gov/athletics. According to the website, the Guilford College football team generated $113,688 in revenue and spent $274,017. This means the football team lost $160,329.
Though the team cost per player is average when compared to that in other sports, no other sport has anywhere near the 76 players on the football team.
In addition, football pays salaries for eleven coaches. No other sport pays for more than three.
Put into perspective, excluding football and basketball, all men’s sports spent a combined total of $290,346. Football spent $274,017.
The football team is not hugely successful and nationally recognized. It does not inspire students from all over the country to apply to Guilford. In the past seven years the team, which has steadily been losing money, has never produced a winning record. This past fall, it garnered just one win.
What should Guilford do to fix the football team?
The answer: Disband it. Make football a club sport.
Club sports are funded by Community Senate as clubs. They do not receive funding from the athletic department.
A club team would be much cheaper and attract players who are interested in playing football for love of the sport, not using it to fund their college education.
Not only would the school reap monetary benefits, a de-emphasized athletic department might help ease annual tensions between athletes and non-athletes.
The source of the tension is usually preferential treatment that some varsity athletes receive. I am fairly sure club football players would not receive preferential treatment from RAs and teachers. I know from experience that club Rugby players do not.
With the reassignment of Coach Ketchum, Guilford finds itself in a transitional phase. Instead of hiring a new coach, the administration should seize the opportunity to do the whole college a favor and rename the football team the Football Club.