News Briefs

Pilot Open about GodAn American Airlines pilot spooked passengers on a Los Angeles to New York flight after asking about their religion. The pilot asked all the Christians to raise their hands on the plane. The pilot then told passengers “everyone who doesn’t have their hand raised is crazy.” Travelers, worried the pilot was dangerous, made frantic calls to friends and family.

Osiris, Life in Space

Scientists have identified a planet 150 light years away that has oxygen in its atmosphere. Named after the Egyptian god Osiris, it is too close to its parent sun to support life. Scientists believe that the ability to identify oxygen on other planets is a first step toward finding planets habitable to Earth life.

Adolescents Released

U.S. terrorist suspect Afghani Mohammed Ismail Agha, 15, was released from a prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, after a 14-month detention. Agha was freed along with two other minors, aged 15 and 13. Agha disappointed critics of the Cuban detainees by having flattering things to say about his treatment there. The children were released and returned under pressure from the International Red Cross.

Gay Penguin Parents

Roy and Silo, two male chinstrap penguins from Central Park Zoo, have avoided female relationships, exhibiting exclusive homosexual behavior such as entwining necks. After the couple attempted to nest with a rock, the Central Park Zoo staff gave them a fertilized egg. The couple raised baby Tango for two and a half months until it was returned to a natural penguin habitat. Other male chinstrap penguins have also exhibited similar homosexual tendencies.