Sports Briefs

BOSTON – Former Guilford College standout Tony Womack signed a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox Jan. 24.
Womack, 34, is a ten-year veteran who began last season with the Arizona Diamondbacks, the team he won a World Series ring with in 2001. He was traded from Arizona last season to the Colorado Rockies July 18, then to the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 19.
Womack was hurt late last season, but had off-season surgery and is expected to be ready by the time spring training starts in February.
He started his career in Pittsburgh and has a .270 career average and 309 stolen bases in 1022 major league games.BRISTOL, Conn. – Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath is undergoing treatment for alcohol abuse after being seen drunk on national television last month.
In an interview last month on ESPN’s coverage of a New York Jets-New England Patriots game, Namath slurred his speech and told sideline reporter Suzy Kolber he wanted to kiss her several times.
“I’m very disappointed with my behavior, because of how I’ve embarrassed my family and the people that I work with and my friends and all,” said Namath.
Namath has since apologized to Kolber, and is seeking help. “That was the wake-up call. Even before that, I said, ‘Yeah, I’m going to stop, I’m going to stop.'”
*Quotes from sportsillustrated.cnn.com

SARASOTA, Fla. – Mike Belka played nine holes of golf on Jan. 20 wearing a hat that read “Life is Good.”
Belka turned 100 years old that day, and finished the round with his daughter Ruth who is 68, and sons John and David, 70 and 64, respectively.
They played at Prestancia’s Tournament Players Club and Belka said he played all right. “Well, I’ll take what I can get and be happy.”
Madeline, Belka’s wife, died in 2000 at the age of 95. They raised four children in Andover, Mass. He now splits his time in Sarasota and Seabrook, N.H.
What’s the key to Belka’s longevity? He drinks a soda and scotch before dinner everyday and takes a two-hour nap. Belka tries to get some golf at least weekly, but had not played since Thanksgiving.
*Quotes from sportsillustrated.cnn.com