Men Against Sexism: a new group at Guilford

Men interlocking their ideas with the feminist movement (http://www.interlog.com/~rayace/other.html)

“There is no point in sitting around and talking about how stupid men are,” said senior Naman Hampton.
The new group founded by Hampton could have been called FM (Feminist Men) or MAP (Men Against Patriarchy) or the most popular IIHAHISP (If I Had A Hammer, I’d Smash Patriarchy). Hampton is still taking names but has settled on MAS (Men Against Sexism).
MAS hopes to be a group in conjunction with FREE (Feminists Reaching Equality for Everyone) that discusses issues involving gender.
“We would like to create a space for the men at Guilford to come together, to give each other support, and discuss important issues that are sometimes ignored,” said Hampton. “It would be great if we could discuss everything from gender roles to sexual assault.”
MAS organization is still in planning stages but Hampton is looking for input from the participants. “The structure of the discussions might be that each week there could be a different topic led by a different person,” said Hampton.
The group wants to address problems modern men face in the current male-dominated society. “We could challenge the thoughts that men have essential qualities, like being strong or holding in your feelings,” said senior Matt Shelton.
They would like to discuss not just sexism, but also racism and socio-economic status in today’s society.
Hampton has already received positive feedback from many students on campus and support from fellow campus groups like FREE.
Women’s Studies Professor Carol Stoneburner of FREE said, “Women’s Studies is 30 years old, and the program always stressed it wasn’t [just] a women’s problem. Discussions should have men involved.”
The group wants to be a diverse male group open to free, non-judgmental discussions. “I’d like to see it be in solidarity with the women on campus,” said Stoneburner, “[To]see men talking about growing.”
“Nowadays every man has to come to terms with his place in an unfair sexist society that benefits him at the expense of women,” said junior Matt Salisbury. “Hopefully, paying attention to it will help us heal.