Kurt and Jeff’s Pigskin Picks: College Picks

()
()

Notre Dame at Florida State The Irish looked sluggish last week at Air Force and if they play like that at Tallahassee it will be a blowout. Florida State merely lost by one point to Miami, and the Seminoles are better than most polls are saying. This will be Ty Willingham’s first loss at Notre Dame. Prediction: FSU 28, ND 13.

Iowa at Michigan This could decide the Big Ten champion and a trip to the Rose Bowl (but Ohio State is still the favorite). Iowa has come out of nowhere this season, while Michigan just keeps winning like always. I would pick Iowa here, but the game is in the college football mecca of Ann Arbor, which is Michigan’s second largest city on game days. Prediction: Michigan 21, Iowa 17.

Penn State at Ohio State PSU roughed up lowly Northwestern last weekend and Larry Johnson ran for a school-record 257 yards. Don’t look for Mr. Johnson to get even half that in Columbus, but do look for super freshman Maurice Clarett to up his Heisman stock with a big day. Prediction: OSU 38, PSU 22.

Iowa State at Texas Both teams played badly last Saturday, but Iowa State was at OU and Texas was in Manhattan, Kansas. Texas and QB Chris Simms lost their game-of-the-year again to Oklahoma, so all they can hope for now is a BCS bowl. OU held Seneca Wallace in check, you can bet that the Texas coaching staff will be studying that game film. Texas bounces back with a nice win. Prediction: Texas 35, Iowa State 24.

Top 15

1. Miami (6-0) Off last week after escaping the FSU game, they needed it.

2. Oklahoma (7-0) Pounded Iowa State 49-3, might get more #1 votes if they do the same in two weeks against Colorado.

3. Ohio State (8-0) Held off Wisconsin to remain atop the Big Ten.

4. Virginia Tech (7-0) Beat Rutgers handily, play another cupcake this weekend.

5. Georgia (7-0) Bigger game than most people think this weekend, at Kentucky. Upset alert.

6. Texas (6-1) Big win at Kansas State, but Chris Simms will always be looked at as an underachiever in Austin.

7. Notre Dame (7-0) National Title hopes will be dashed this weekend.

8. Florida State (5-2) Best 5-2 team in college football.

9. Michigan (6-1) A win would keep them in the running in the Big Ten.

10. Washington State (6-1) Much like Florida State, no respect in the polls.

11. NC State (8-0) The Pack better fix what went wrong last week, two-point win over DUKE?

12. LSU (6-1) May be the most talented SEC team.

13. Oregon (6-1) Defense got exploited for over 500 passing yards last week.

14. Iowa (7-1) Yet another Big Ten team that could sneak into the BCS picture.

15. USC (5-2) Their biggest game this year, head to Eugene to play the Ducks.