Kurt and Jeff’s Pigskin Picks: College

()
()

Washington State at Ohio State Freshman running back Maurice Clarett is the most talented back at OSU since Eddie George. Both teams have Rose Bowl aspirations and Wazzu quarterback Jason Gesser will keep it close, but they cannot pull the upset in Columbus. Prediction: Ohio State 34, Washington State 20.

Marshall at Virginia Tech The Hokies have looked great thus far but haven’t played against talents like Thundering Herd QB Byron Leftwich. The Mid-American Conference gets respect with this win in Blacksburg, one of the toughest places to play in the nation. Prediction: Marshall 28, Virginia Tech 13.

Nebraska at Penn State Jammal Lord has fans in Big Red Country thinking national title, but they have to get past Joe Paterno’s feisty team in Happy Valley. Penn State will keep it close but fade late when the Blackshirts shut down Joe Pa’s inexperienced offense. Prediction: Nebraska 48, Penn State 21.

Notre Dame at Michigan Tyrone Willingham has the Fighting Irish in the Top 25 but their offense has yet to score a touchdown. Michigan already has a dramatic win in Ann Arbor against Washington. The Wolverines will show Willingham he has a long way to go to get Notre Dame back into college football’s elite, though they do manage to score two offensive TD’s. Prediction: Michigan 35, Notre Dame 17.

Top 15 (Through September 13th)

1. Miami (2-0) No doubt Canes are the best team in the nation.
  2. Florida State (2-0) Shaky opener but bounced back and will show Maryland they’re back atop the ACC.
  3. Tennessee (2-0) Looked great against Middle Tennessee State, huge game Sept. 21 in Knoxville vs. Florida.
  4. Texas (1-0) Chris Simms’ year to make or break, play at Chapel Hill Saturday, yawn.
  5. Oklahoma (2-0) QB problems, close game against Alabama proves they’re not untouchable.
  6. Ohio State (2-0) All American safety Mike Doss leading this team to the top of the Big Ten.
  7. Michigan (2-0) QB John Navarre making people in Ann Arbor forget about Drew Henson.
  8. Nebraska (2-0) Huge game Saturday, big win over Nittany Lions solidifies this team as BCS contenders.
  9. Florida (1-1) Rex Grossman and company get back on their feet Saturday hosting Ohio University.
  10. Michigan State (2-0) WR Charles Rogers is Randy Moss, without the baggage.
  11. Oregon (2-0) Even without Joey Harrington still finding ways to win close games.
  12. Marshall (1-0) If they can win at Virginia Tech, they will be in the Top 10.
  13. Virginia Tech (2-0) Pounded LSU, if they can win at home this weekend they jump into the Top 10.
  14. Washington State (2-0) Untested so far, see if they’re for real in Columbus.
  15. Washington (1-1) Too talented to let week one heartbreaker ruin season, could be their only loss of the year.